Another scrounge woe story

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckarotka

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Northwest PA on the lake
I'll keep it short
1. Saw the tree service cutting a very large maple
2. I stopped, knew the home owner, she said I could have it all.
3. Told the tree guys and they started a pile for me.
4. Came back later the same day to collect and then drop of some goodies for the tree guys.
5. The only wood they left was a small pile, not enough to fill one 1/2 ton bed. It was the wood they piled while I was there only.
6. They chipped all the large branches 15-20" diameter stuff that I was drooling over.

What went wrong??

The boss refused beer, so since it was hot, ice cold drinks and subs

I think probably what happened was they might have assumed you only wanted a small pile.
If you clearly stated that you wanted all of the wood,then I don't know what would have happened.

When I get a call from the tree service guys I always show up with a disposable cooler with ice and
about a dozen large gatorades.I have also told the service companies that I am more than willing to take
lengths that will fit in the box of my truck.This saves them time from having to buck it up into shorter
lengths.It also moves me up the list.I also put in a request for hardwoods only.This means that I get the
calls for green ash,birch,maple and apple.If I don't have enough by the end of july,then I open up to spruce as well.
When I get the call,I tell them realistically what time I can be on site,get in and get out.This seems to work out for
all involved quite well.

okotoks guy said:
I think probably what happened was they might have assumed you only wanted a small pile.
If you clearly stated that you wanted all of the wood,then I don't know what would have happened.

When I get a call from the tree service guys I always show up with a disposable cooler with ice and
about a dozen large gatorades.I have also told the service companies that I am more than willing to take
lengths that will fit in the box of my truck.This saves them time from having to buck it up into shorter
lengths.It also moves me up the list.I also put in a request for hardwoods only.This means that I get the
calls for green ash,birch,maple and apple.If I don't have enough by the end of july,then I open up to spruce as well.
When I get the call,I tell them realistically what time I can be on site,get in and get out.This seems to work out for
all involved quite well.

I'm not really sure what happened. I thought I was clear in saying "all of it". When he asked how long I said, the longer the better I will re-cut to size myself to make things easier for them. Oh well.

Found another tree service today that was itchin to find a spot to dump wood in my area and was glad to take a name and number so hopefully that one pans out. Today they were taking down two large pines, I passed on that because I have enough pine for now and frankly the stuff I have was a pain to split with branches every foot or so, spruce and I would have taken it.

I guess all you can do is smile and don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Its better than nothing. Unfortunately, you weren't really in a strong position to communicate what your real intentions were with both the owner and crew since the contract terms were already final.

I agree a large supply of a cold nonalcoholic beverage would make a better bribe on a hot day.

My guess why little amount of wood was left for you is the tree service likely was going to get paid on a completed job and didn't want to take the extra risks of their cost savings given the potential liabilities relying on your extra labor to move the wood and/or use of a chain saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.