Another scrounge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireview2788

Minister of Fire
Apr 20, 2011
SW Ohio
For the last two weeks I've been driving past a pile of wood, I think it's hickory, that sits right behind work. I never caught the homeowner out to make sure it was free to a good home. FINALLY, I found him cutting his grass and asked....yep, it's free. I told him I will be loading it up tonight at 11pm so if you hear something it's just me. Another scoooooorrrreee, pics to come.

fv

sweet. I love that hickory, I make some splits of it nice and square, and put them in the lathe. I then use the turned blank for a hammer or tomahawk handle, and the shavings get put in a bag for use in the smoker or on the firepit when we are cooking.......Hickory is great stuff.

Here's the first load:
IMG_1146.jpg

IMG_1147.jpg

IMG_1148.jpg

There's at least one more load this size, possibly two.
fv

That looks like a load of ash. Now I am on my phone and its hard to tell but I don't think that is hickory. Still a great wood for burning.

Reactions: smokinj
Could be, like I said I wasn't sure but I knew it was good BTU's.

Reactions: ScotO
+1 on the Ash.

KC

Poor Doug

It's loaded up again and there's about a half a load still left. Now if I had an actual truck I could get the big rounds but alas I don't.

fv

Sweet! Hope you can go back and get the rest of it.

Nice load. Any on the front passenger's seat? :)

"Now if I had an actual truck I could get the big rounds but alas I don't."
A trailer would probably fit your needs better. Truck is nice but I still pull a trailer when getting wood.

I was at about weight max so no wood in the front, plus I had to pick up my daughter and dog after work:confused:. Yes, a trailer is in my future but not the near future. My '03 Explorer (2 dr) is paid off and only has 55,000 miles on it so I'm not trading it in for car payments.:eek:

fv

I've never been told I have a big ash.:p. Here's load #2:
IMG_1146.jpg

if I had an actual truck I could get the big rounds but alas I don't.
That's no excuse; Take a wedge and sledge over there and get the rest, you slacker. ;)
Nice-lookin' score! :cool:

Reactions: Thistle and RAY_PA
1st Load & load 2 have very similar looking rounds.

We do pay attention to this stuff, all wood load scrounges "do not" look the same to a true "wood-o-holic"
We believe you got 2 SUV loads, but they should look different :)

COME ON MAN! LOL :)

LOL just look at the position of those yellow tie down straps & that one piece in upper right corner sticking up....

Wow, you guys are taking way too much time studying the photos. Crap, I loaded the same pic twice! Let's try this one:
IMG_1156.jpg

and this one:
IMG_1157.jpg

For those studying; The air compressor isn't in the first one and the rear seat is up in this one.:rolleyes:
fv

A trailer would probably fit your needs better. Truck is nice but I still pull a trailer when getting wood.

+1 on the trailer. Best rig is a trailer on the back of your pickup truck, but if I had to choose on vs the other...

That air pump won't help you when the tires pop. ;lol

Reactions: fireview2788
Laughed a real good one on this thread. We DO tend to keep each other honest here, eh? ("pics, or it didn't happen"). That's a real good use for an Explorer IMHO. Nice score! And yeah, looks like white ash to me too... very worthwhile firewood.

Split it up today and have 1/3 cord, not too bad for a quick and easy scrounge. I hope the last little bit is there waiting to go to a new home.

fv

Is that 1/3 cord after you inflated it with the compressor ?
Sorry , nice score.

I tried using it but I couldn't find the valve stem. The rest of it is still there so it will be getting a new home tonight, now if I could just find a way to get the big rounds.......

fv

Status
Not open for further replies.