another season and another dead ignitor...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tundraSQ

Oct 7, 2006
Harmon replaced my XXV ignitor last year, and its dead again this year. It is not even getting warm..

Is there a way to test this thing? Can i just unscrew it from the bracket and test the leads with my ohm meter? Or does it need to be running at the time?

My dealer said tough noogies..the replacement was only waranteed for 90 days. So i may be shelling out $76 for a new one tomrrow...i just hate the idea of having to buy one every year.

He said he has not seen any of the new ones fail...and i am convinced he gave me an older style one when he swapped it under warantee

*grrrrr*

But on a positive not have cleaned and cleaned and cleaned some more so the stove is ready for winter.....this weekend i will try the leaf blower trick.

pm smwilliamson maybe he could cross reference a less expensive one for ya ???

tundraSQ said:
Is there a way to test this thing? Can i just unscrew it from the bracket and test the leads with my ohm meter? Or does it need to be running at the time?....

Why not make up a 120V power "test" lead out of an old lamp cord....connect direct to ignitor and see if it heats-up when plugged into wall outlet. (make sure to insulate the leads before applying power!!)

DAKSY said:
Resistance reading on a good ignitor should be 45 - 49 Ohms.

I set my multimeter to ohms...and at all ranges, i just have the "1" hanging out on the far left of the display...no other reading.

I assume that is not good?

Time for a new ignitor if thats what you got on your meter... Good luck

picked up a new ignitor today...reads 49 and the dealer did not charge me. Thats the good news, bad news is that it looks used..but i guess you get what you pay for right?

Or don't pay for...anyway i hope it gets me thru the year.

thats why i dont use ignitors....a lil fluid and wamo ..it lights....but then again most people run a thermostats

tundraSQ said:
picked up a new ignitor today...reads 49 and the dealer did not charge me. Thats the good news, bad news is that it looks used..but i guess you get what you pay for right?

Or don't pay for...anyway i hope it gets me thru the year.
dont know about harmon but Enviro BENCH test every part before putting on a stove or putting into spare parts box.
I seen it at the factory. large area with Fans, auger motors, ignitors, and control boards being tested and even volt spect.

ok, bear in mind that i do not know the harman stove but i know igniters..

is the system a convective air (meaning the igniter uses hot air pulled through the igniter housing to light the pellets) if so does the airflow move easily , is the igniter positioned so that air cannot get through easily?
also are you on a stat? if so what is the "drop' on the stat , is the stove having to relight quickly or does it wait a while?

check the "drop" on the stat and see if its an immediate or 1 degree drop causing way too many starts of if it drops a couple or 3-4 degrees before the stat restarts. start sequences at a rapid pace is hard on an igniter, if it gets to rest a couple hours it will add a signifigant amount of life span to a cartridge heater

Status
Not open for further replies.