Another seasoning question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Smokey said:
It's a new stove and doesn't leak. The secondary combustion plate was alive with flames. I had the damper open until the stove got hot, then shut the damper, and it baked at the 650 for quite a while (could smell paint and I had baked it a few months earlier) and then gradually went down. I had very dry small splits and it was loaded to the gills. I believe the very dry wood and the small size caused the minor overfire. Good thing I was in the living room and shut the damper, or something bad could of happened. Never had a fire like that since.

Smokey that's part of the learning curve with a new stove...maybe on your stove you have to close the damper down before the stove reaches critical mass. Anyway I'm sure you figured it out by now. 650* is too hot imo but with my non EPA stove I use to burn in hotter than that twice a day but like you I was right there keeping an eye on it. Just say'en one good thing you can do with a run a way fire is quickly smother it with ashes and damper down.

Status
Not open for further replies.