Another solar kiln

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Getwidit

Aug 28, 2019
Stuyvesant ny
Here is my proto type. Fallen dead red oak. The lower half was very wet. Just css today and built the kiln. I guess I'll check back in November with the update. Some of the wood is probably 30 to 40% . I split it pretty small.

20230709_134506.jpg

Is there a small vent at the top for the wet air to escape?

Is there a small vent at the top for the wet air to escape?
Right now I just have the plastic about 4 or 5 inches up on the bottom, I think I'm going to make a couple slits on the north side to promote some flow. I also have a couple solar fans coming in from Amazon. I'm going todo another kiln bigger scale with some wood that is drier. Probably going to be around 25 to 30.

I can get some of the vapor out of the wood to condense on the inside of the kiln membrane and then drip to ground, but the vast majority, I will SWAG 75%, comes from venting hot humid air out from near the top.

I thought of cutting a vent on the north and south side to give alittle cross flow.. i thought of it but wasn't sure. I've heard both ways. I put poly under the pallet. And I trimmed my plastic to the top of pallet basically. With the vents is it necessary to keep the plastic off the wood? Thats what I was shooting for originally.