Another storage tank question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigden

Apr 24, 2008
Northeastern Vermont
I live in a manufactured home(double wide), It sets on a slab and is connected to a garage where I'm hoping to install a wood boiler this summer. Because I have no basement and my garage is to small for a storage tank I'm wondering what you guys think about building a storage tank under the house. The problem I see is that it will have to be really large in the length and width because it can only be abount 2' deep. With this increased surface area will it be to inefficient? My only other option is to bury a tank. Which would be the most efficient ??

My limited understanding is that a taller storage tank is best to maximize stratification which allows the tank to be loaded with heat most efficiently. A 2-foot tank doesn't sound like a great way to go to me.

You need to allow space for insulation as well. I suggest at least 8" on the sides and bottom, and 16" on the top. More would be better. I built a 'doghouse' under the deck for mine. Perhaps something against the garage disguised as a toolshed?

Status
Not open for further replies.