Another stove pipe question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2008
ATL
I only need 5" of offset from the stove, up to the ceiling support box. I'm planning on using a couple 45 degree elbows (dura-black) to achieve this. The ceiling itself is Type X fire code gypsum panel sheet rock.

Question is, where should I place the 45's? I would like to have them just beneath the ceiling support box, but didn't know if that is okay.

Thanks.

My preference would be down low at the stove. It's less obvious there.

Here's a shot of our offset. It has a 6" splice between the 45s to achieve the desired offset.

Attachments

• April08-009web.jpg
    April08-009web.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 196
Well, I'm not fond of offsets, period. But given the choice I think it's better to get it done with quickly. When you walk into the room and see it up at the ceiling, it looks like an afterthought to me. At the stove it looks more intentional. Maybe it's just the way my eye picks up on things.

I can say that the offset on the T6 is visually reduced by the mass of the stove. But if it was up at the ceiling, then the offset would be out there by itself. Against a white ceiling that would stand out.

We may need to do an offset on ours. One of my concerns is cleaning the pipe, it's hard to get a brush down through the offsets. With that in mind, I would think it would be best to have the offset as low as possible so that you can get most of the pipe with the brush. Does that make sense?

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.