Another successful install.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

herdbull

Hearth Supporter
Dec 31, 2010
Wisconsin
So a few ago I asked "Can I or Can't I". Thanks for all the help and in a nutshell I can or did. It wasn't easy and it wasn't fun and as always the dog heard a few new words/expressions. The part I knew that was going to be bad was worse. While it feels good to have it up and running and to have done it myself. I don't think I would have done if I had known everything I now know this morning - lol.

I do have limited experience with installations as I installed my insert and liner in the upstairs fireplace a year ago. Obviously a year was long enough ago to cover up the scars both mental and physically. That and I'm stubborn, toss in some anality and when I get something in my mind, well lets just say look out!

I wish had taken the time to get more photos during the installation but honestly I was on a mission, covered head to toe all day in black soot and just wanted to build a fire. ME NEED FIRE! This install in the basement in my second fireplace for secondary heat to keep the basement warmer and help with cold floors upstairs. As it sits now my furnace doesn't run for days at a time and it can get down right cold in my basement. This little stove is going to help that nicely.

The biggest issue was going to be the transition from a square steel chimney to the lined chimney at the floor level of the upstairs. Lets just say a 6.25" dia liner can get through a 6.75" square hole with a 20+ degree angle but it ain't easy. It did require me to have a friend stop over and help on the roof. Which I had to sweep 3" of snow off of. Don't worry, I tied in at all times and wore my hunting 5 pt. safety harness. I wasn't going to be that guy. With his help pushing, hard mind you, and me pulling and twisting we got it done. But once the liner depth was set in the firebox there was no changing it. It required me to spend half of my day sitting in the firebox pulling, twisting and manipulating the liner to get it there.

Which leads to me the last issue I ran into. Getting the pipe to line up and be long enough. Once I shoved a little liner back up into the chimney to get the stove in I couldn't get it back down. So after an hour of sitting in the firebox with the stove in there too I decided to just block up the stove.

So I fired her up last night and boy for a little stove this thing cooks. It's a Century 244E and it's going to work perfect for secondary heat. I had a couple hours of coals in it when I loaded it up for bed last night. To my pleasant surprise 7 hours later this morning there's enough coals to start another fire without anything but some kindling. I was so happy to see that. I would like to find a way to damper this thing down a little bit more though. With the damper wide open this thing is like a blow torch. Even on low it could use a little less air. You gotta hang onto loose clothing when you feed it more wood - lol. The draft is awesome. Heck it was drafting while I was on the roof finishing the top without a fire in it.

Overall I couldn't be happier this morning and wish I wasn't on so much of a budget to get this done. But I think the install would have cost more than what I have in this thing now, liner included. Enjoy the pics!

Attachments

• wood stove 01.jpg
    wood stove 01.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 527
  • wood stove 09.jpg
    wood stove 09.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 504
  • wood stove 04.jpg
    wood stove 04.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 534
Here's a few more misc pics.

Attachments

• wood stove 06.jpg
    wood stove 06.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 517
  • wood stove 08.jpg
    wood stove 08.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 514
  • wood stove 10.jpg
    wood stove 10.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 508
What is the cardboard for?

The cardboard was a template for a block off plate. Sorry no pics with the block off plate installed. That was one thing that went quite well.

I believe it's 1.3cf. Kinda small but really I didn't need much to just get some heat in the basement. I have about an 8' x 8' open staircase from the basement to the upstairs so there was no way to "shut off" the cold air from coming upstairs. So I decided to turn the cold air into warm air.

I'm really impressed with the draft I get from the is stove/liner. I swear if you were stand about 6 feet away, light a cigarette and have someone open the door it would suck the smoke up from the cigarette. Already I see an issue though..... now that's it warmer down there I find myself wanting to keep it 70+ degrees.

Looks good. Always a great sense of accomplishment when you do something yourself!

As an installer, i feel the pain you experienced many times a week. That is why i love what i do. Part hands on, part engineer and every house you install in is a new experience.

Yes i get cut up regularly, come home covered in black soot, walk on the craziest of roofs and climb rediculously high ladders!

Its a skill and art all on its own.

Screwing around in a firebox for most of the day can be frustrating and tiring, but at the end when you see it all done up and running is worth every hassle.

Congrats on a hard job well done!

Thanks for the kind words. It was a long day but I kind of knew it would be going in. Just maybe not that long. I know my neighbors probably thought I was cracked working on a snow covered rough when it's 15 degrees outside but this project wasn't waiting until spring.

Being crammed in that firebox with the stove was probably the worst part. Next stove/insert install will require some sort of slip joint pipe or something different above the stove to the liner. The one up stairs was the same way. Tough to pull it down far enough, then move out of the way to put the stove in, then make it fit. As it was I had to bear the liner in the firebox and pull and twist. Not easy to do with a 180lb stove in there too - lol.

It was a balmy 72 degrees in the house this morning with running both the stove and insert on low all night. This was after about 7 hours of burn time and it was 1.6 degrees when I got up this morning. I will use more wood in the second stove but I think the consumption upstairs will go down. Not quite an even wash but well worth it.

I've been playing with a small fan yesterday and this morning. The firebox heats up nice but retains a big chunk of the heat. I've found a small fan on low speed pointing at the stove moves the air out of the firebox quite nicely. I will be looking for a small low draw fan to add this week. Either Radio Shack or Jameco should have one.

After the first night (7 hours) there was enough coals left to start a new fire without doing much of anything. A couple small kindling pieces and voala, it started right back up.

Since then I added a fan to move the air around and I think it greatly diminished the ability for the stove to hold coals overnight. I think it's due to the whole stove just not warming up as much and retaining as much heat. The coal bed is just warm to the touch after 7 hours now. It needs a total restart in the morning.

The 1101 easily has enough coals every morning (7+ hours) to just add some kindling, open the damper all the way and wait about 5 mins.

Status
Not open for further replies.