Another wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote author="Remmy122" date="1297796351"]There was no second trip, but I did get alot of it on the first one. I think it will come in handy though, being that I need it seasoned for next year, and our burning season is what most of yall would consider a shoulder season (its been in the 70's all week and its looking like it will go on for the next few weeks).

We call that summer here :ahhh:

Wood Duck said:
Here is something bad about pears - the trees usually have short trunk and tons of branches so the processing is tough and you don't get a lot of wood from the effort. I assume you are talking about ornamental pears, aka Bradford Pear or Callery Pear. Edible pear trees would be similar. Not saying I wouldn't go for the pear, but don't expect big, clear logs.

For the time you put in, I think you'd get at least as many BTUs from Tupil Poplar and you would from pear, even though the pear wood is more dense.

I dont know, most of a bradford pear is limbs, so all I see is cutting the limb to length, thus not alot of work. Rarely do I see a truck thats over 12 in wide. Im new to collecting my own wood, but this is the logic Ill be going with.

Status
Not open for further replies.