Another wood identification thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

max384

Nov 28, 2015
Eagle Rock, PA
I've got a firewood species I can't identify.

I live in northeastern Pennsylvania at an elevation of around 1800 ft. I'm in USDA zone 5B/6A. These trees grow all over the place around here.

They're very stringy and extremely hard to split (by hand). The leaves are elliptical in shape.

Could this be a hickory ? Sorry just a guess.

Reactions: max384
Wait for the leaves. Then its easy to ID

Reactions: max384
very stringy and extremely hard to split (by hand). The leaves are elliptical
[/QUOTE]
Leaves elliptical. Is leaf margin entire (no indentations/ smooth) ?
Fall leaf color ? Is it brilliant red?

Close-up pic of buds ? Pointy buds ?
Branch habit (downward at trunk) looks like blackgum (Nyssa sylvatica).
very stringy and extremely hard to split (by hand)
fits for black gum too.
https://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=60

That's it! Black gum! For sure. Thank you everyone.

Anyhow, my shoulders and elbows are aching after taking whack after whack at the rounds. I may just get rid of any of the remaining rounds that are big enough to need split. Ugh.

Don't know what it is.
It is not black walnut.

That is hickory. I don't use it any more because too hard to split. Also it is infested with bugs in the bark.

That is hickory
What type of hickory do you think it is ? I am not a big fan of hickory -- between the hard to split and mostly the bugs will turn it into saw dust too. I will not pass on a very easy find but I just do not pursue it much.

I believe Cincy Burner is correct saying it is Gum, if it was Hickory it would have a manure like aroma to it, does it?

I am calling it hickory because of the "stringy" nature of the wood when split, plus that it is so hard to split. The wood does resemble hickory. It might well be gum I have never messed with that wood.