1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Another year, a familiar problem

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by remkel, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Mad Tom

Mad Tom Member

Loc:
    Vermont

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Mad Tom

Mad Tom Member

Loc:
    Vermont
    Planning on pulling the whole top off of my Oslo to do some baffle, burner tube work. I think the Oslo has a rope gasket for a seal. Maybe the same on a 600?. Not sure how it's going to go, but have been putting it off for a year. Maybe your rope seal wasn't installed right if it has one.
  3. BrowningBAR

BrowningBAR Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA
    Do you really need to remove the top casting to work on the baffle?
  4. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    Welds also crack...

I saw mentioned here, then I saw some at the stove store, a hi-temp sealant (2000+ degrees.) I don't think it was furnace cement. If it would flex, would that be a more permanent solution? I agree with previous comment that you should stay on them, though...
  5. theonlyzarathu

theonlyzarathu Member

Loc:
    Bar Harbor, Maine
    OK....NONE of my steel welded stoves have ever cracked... And yes, you can buy INDUSTRIAL QUALITY STOVE CEMENT, which is use to fill up cracks in very high temperature kilns and boilers. It has high adhesion on steel and cast iron, and can ve had in capacities up to about 3200 degrees, which is way above the temp that any stove steel is subjected to at least outside the firebox.

MY PE stove has the new kind of insulating fire bricks, which are more porous and lighter, and way more insulating of the firebox. They don't hold in the heat, but they protect the steel in the stove from excessive heat. I also don't fire my stove much above 550 since, in my opinion, more than that just sends that extra heat up the stovepipe rather than into my rooms. But then I have a terrific fan, that is quiet and I can just turn up.
  6. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    It's the easiest way. The top is gasketed and designed for removal.
  7. BrowningBAR

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA
    Ah. I was thinking they were built like VC stoves which are cemented into place.
  8. BrowningBAR

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA
    We are only highlighting that steel stoves can, and do, crack. All stoves can develop problems. A steel stove is no different.
  9. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Sounds like someone drank a litte too much of the salesman's cool aid? Steel that can't crack, magical firebricks, industrial strength cement...

Yep... Jotul 400/500/600's have gasketed tops. Remove two bolts (three for my old top loaders), and they lift right off! Beautiful system.
  10. neumsky

neumsky Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Oklahoma City
    Remkel...how old is your stove?
  11. Mad Tom

Mad Tom Member

Loc:
    Vermont
    I may have bent up a manifold shoving a log in there. It also dislodged the baffle. The cement chips fell out into the ashes. From the parts diagram it looks like the manifold screw can only be approached from the top. also It may be easier to cement down the rear of the baffle by pulling it up , laying down a layer of cement and pressing it into it. The chips that fell out seemed deep so I think that it is the way done in the factory
  12. remkel

remkel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southwest NH
    Ummmmm....1.5 years.......yeah, been quite a ride.