1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

antena for wi-fi reception

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by mikeyny, Feb 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeyny

mikeyny Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    upstate ny
    I was wondering if it is possible to build an antena to capture a wireless signal that is broadcast for public use from a distance. Surely someone must have figured this out by now.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    They are so friggin cheap to buy. Why waste your time? Seriously, search for a wineguard of the proper size and it should be under 100$.
  3. Corey

Corey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Midwest
    google cantenna.

In summary, Pringles can + BNC connector or even USB dongle = high gain directional wifi antenna.
  4. SlyFerret

SlyFerret Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Delaware, Ohio
    I still worry that the SWR on a cantenna would be too high. You risk damaging the transmitter on your wifi radio.

I'd prefer to use a commercially available antenna if I could afford it.

-SF
  5. reaperman

reaperman Member

Loc:
    Central Minn
    USB antennas are available these days for under $30 that will pick up wifi signals great distances away, check with online retailers like newegg or buy.com, etc.
  6. SlyFerret

Loc:
    Delaware, Ohio
    Keep in mind, it's not just an antenna that connects to the USB port. It's a complete USB network card.

-SF
  7. mikeyny

mikeyny Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    upstate ny
    Thanks for the replies folks. I think I will just bite the bullet and buy one off the shelf. Especially if a homebrew one will do any damage to my system.
  8. SlyFerret

Loc:
    Delaware, Ohio
    I can't guarantee that a home brew antenna would damage your equipment, but without the proper equipment to test the antenna to know for sure, I wouldn't trust it.

-SF
  9. John_M

John_M Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central NY
    Mike, I live in the Richfield Springs/Cooperstown area and my closest stations are Utica (45 miles) and Albany/Schenectady (75 miles). I had to purchase the best? Winegard off the air (OTA) antenna (about 15' long) and mount it with a rotator on a 25' tall abandoned power pole about 200' from my house. Installed a preamplifier on the antenna, used the best digital RG6 cable, ran it underground through plastic conduit and connected it to a distribution amplifier in my basement.

I added the digital/analog converter box about 3 months ago. The whole project was a lot of work and cost about $800 but the perfect picture I am now receiving easily makes it all worthwhile. Good luck. John_M
  10. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    I'm a little confused . . . are we talking about wireless internet . . . or high definition TV?
  11. Czech

Czech Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Twin Cities, MN
    radiolabs.com Great site, great support.
  12. John_M

John_M Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central NY
    firefighter, you raise a valid point. I was and still am assuming mikey wants to receive a strong OTA television signal. Heck, now I am confused too. Shows what I know!
  13. SlyFerret

Loc:
    Delaware, Ohio
    There are two threads... This one is about public WiFi (or at least that's how I interpreted the question). The other one is about digital TV.

-SF
  14. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    Where in upstate ny are there wireless signals that are broadcast for public use from a distance?
    On a perhaps related note, I can't get cable where I live but it turns out I'm near a Sprint tower and have great wireless internet access now.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.