Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeyny

mikeyny
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Nov 16, 2007
    Loc:
    upstate ny
    I was wondering if it is possible to build an antena to capture a wireless signal that is broadcast for public use from a distance. Surely someone must have figured this out by now.

2. Highbeam

Highbeam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 28, 2006
    Loc:
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    They are so friggin cheap to buy. Why waste your time? Seriously, search for a wineguard of the proper size and it should be under 100$.

3. Corey

Corey
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 19, 2005
    Loc:
    Midwest
    google cantenna.

In summary, Pringles can + BNC connector or even USB dongle = high gain directional wifi antenna.

4. SlyFerret

SlyFerret
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 12, 2007
    Loc:
    Delaware, Ohio
    I still worry that the SWR on a cantenna would be too high. You risk damaging the transmitter on your wifi radio.

I'd prefer to use a commercially available antenna if I could afford it.

-SF

5. reaperman

reaperman
    Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 1, 2006
    Loc:
    Central Minn
    USB antennas are available these days for under $30 that will pick up wifi signals great distances away, check with online retailers like newegg or buy.com, etc.

6. SlyFerret

SlyFerret
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 12, 2007
    Loc:
    Delaware, Ohio
    Keep in mind, it's not just an antenna that connects to the USB port. It's a complete USB network card.

-SF

7. mikeyny

mikeyny
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Nov 16, 2007
    Loc:
    upstate ny
    Thanks for the replies folks. I think I will just bite the bullet and buy one off the shelf. Especially if a homebrew one will do any damage to my system.

8. SlyFerret

SlyFerret
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 12, 2007
    Loc:
    Delaware, Ohio
    I can't guarantee that a home brew antenna would damage your equipment, but without the proper equipment to test the antenna to know for sure, I wouldn't trust it.

-SF

9. John_M

John_M
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 10, 2008
    Loc:
    Central NY
    Mike, I live in the Richfield Springs/Cooperstown area and my closest stations are Utica (45 miles) and Albany/Schenectady (75 miles). I had to purchase the best? Winegard off the air (OTA) antenna (about 15' long) and mount it with a rotator on a 25' tall abandoned power pole about 200' from my house. Installed a preamplifier on the antenna, used the best digital RG6 cable, ran it underground through plastic conduit and connected it to a distribution amplifier in my basement.

I added the digital/analog converter box about 3 months ago. The whole project was a lot of work and cost about $800 but the perfect picture I am now receiving easily makes it all worthwhile. Good luck. John_M

10. firefighterjake

firefighterjake
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 22, 2008
    Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    I'm a little confused . . . are we talking about wireless internet . . . or high definition TV?

11. Czech

Czech
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 20, 2006
    Loc:
    Twin Cities, MN
    radiolabs.com Great site, great support.

12. John_M

John_M
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 10, 2008
    Loc:
    Central NY
    firefighter, you raise a valid point. I was and still am assuming mikey wants to receive a strong OTA television signal. Heck, now I am confused too. Shows what I know!

13. SlyFerret

SlyFerret
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 12, 2007
    Loc:
    Delaware, Ohio
    There are two threads... This one is about public WiFi (or at least that's how I interpreted the question). The other one is about digital TV.

-SF

14. velvetfoot

velvetfoot
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 5, 2005
    Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    Where in upstate ny are there wireless signals that are broadcast for public use from a distance?
    On a perhaps related note, I can't get cable where I live but it turns out I'm near a Sprint tower and have great wireless internet access now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.