anti creo soot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kingfisher

Hearth Supporter
Apr 2, 2009
Michigan thumb
Has anyone used anti creo soot spray. Just wondering if this stuff really works

I bought it by the case for my pre-EPA stove burning into open flue tiles. It did a good job of turning the tar creosote into brushable crud. I don't see any need for it with a EPA stove, decent wood and a right sized flue.

I consider not buying the stuff anymore some of the savings from buying my EPA stoves.

The best anti-creosote thing I've ever found is wood that has been cut, split and stacked a minimum of 2-3 years.

The local stove shop said this stuff works well . . . but honestly I rarely if ever remember to use it . .. as as BB and BS mentioned, burning well seasoned wood and sweeping regularly is just as, if not more than, effective.

In the event you do develop creosote (we all know dry wood blah blah) that is hard to clean with a brush, that product works great. Also, a few sprays in the morning during a hot fire a few times a week helps keep that glaze from forming. For the $15 a bottle that can last you a year it's great peice of mind. I don't bother in my "stove who shall remain namless" because it just doesnt make the chimney dirty.

So, yeah, the stuff works

kingfisher said:
Has anyone used anti creo soot spray. Just wondering if this stuff really works

This is our first year heating with wood and we are using anti creo soot has a preventive measure.

Zap

OK, a little word of caution about Anti-Creo-Sote. I used it for 25 years and it only happened once and I have never heard of it happening to anybody else but...

The stuff isn't supposed to be flammable and I never saw other evidence that it was. A few million pumps into the fire with no problem. But the last year I used it the bottle got down to where the pump couldn't pick up the dregs in the bottle so I took the lid off and just slung the last bit into the fire. As I had always done. The fire came back up the stream and blew the bottle out of my hand and across the room.

I had done the same thing hundreds of times with no issues but that time got my attention big-time.

Status
Not open for further replies.