Anxious new homeowner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Megs1221

Dec 5, 2023
VT
Hi all,
I just purchased my first home and it came with a woodstove that the previous owners said wasn't used frequently.
We are finding it a nice way to save on oil. That being said I'm an anxious wreck. My dad always heatedbwith wood but never really taught me about it. I'm having a hard time knowing if I'm doing anything right or what everything does, like today I found a lever on the back, not sure what it's supposed to be. Looking for any advice that might help me sleep.

20231205_230403.jpg 20231205_230357.jpg 20231205_230349.jpg 20231205_230353.jpg

That stove is a Woodstock Classic. I believe that lever pulls out to slide the bypass and engage the catalyst. Lift the top up and pull the lever and you can see how it works. You should be able to obtain a manual on how to properly operate this stove from Woodstock.

You’re also going to need a stove pipe thermometer and stove top thermometer so you know when to engage the catalyst and keep an eye on temps. Nice stove!

Contact Woodstock.

Ask them to help identify your stove. Betting they (Loren I believe) will be happy to help. Get a correct operator's manual. Read it closely before running the stove.

Another user with that model will hopefully chime in. Good luck.

Given the age and your experience level, you really should get a pro to clean and check the chimney and the piping from the back of the stove to the chimney. The piping can rust and get too thin eventually

The catalyst is like a catalytic converter on a car and its wear item with finite life. A catalyst if operated correctly converts pollution that would go up the stack to heat. It also can reduce creosote formation in the stack. The expensive part of the catalyst that makes it work is potentially damaged or worn out if its exposed to things like burning trash so stick with burning clean unpainted wood and if use paper to start the fire, use uncoated newspaper or kraft paper (old fashioned paper bag material).

On occasion the catalyst just crumbles in place or is removed as it plugs up with ash), in most cases the stove will still run but in some cases it can do damage to other internal parts that are not as easy to find.

^^ this

FIRST STEP: Hire a CERTIFIED chimney sweep or technician/installer and have the stove, stove pipe, chimney, etc. cleaned and inspected, ask for a written report as well.

STEP TWO:
Obtain and read the manual, the manual will answer most of your questions and queries.

Reactions: Todd and kcmclellan
That is odd that you didn't have to have a chimney inspection done before closing along with the house inspection. As mentioned I would get that done before burning in it again, and yes it will probably take a month for someone to come inspect it, most chimney cleaning businesses are booked out at least a month at the moment.

That is odd that you didn't have to have a chimney inspection done before closing along with the house inspection. As mentioned I would get that done before burning in it again, and yes it will probably take a month for someone to come inspect it, most chimney cleaning businesses are booked out at least a month at the moment.
I book my guy a year out. He comes at the end of every April and we just lock that in to be sure. If you call reputable places around here it'll be at least a month like you said and probably significantly longer.

I could 100% clean my liner myself it's just a straight shot up with a soot eater after removing the baffle. That's all he does, but I like the peace of mind knowing a professional did it since my wife and kids are sleeping here. Worth the $ to me.

I book my guy a year out. He comes at the end of every April and we just lock that in to be sure. If you call reputable places around here it'll be at least a month like you said and probably significantly longer.

I could 100% clean my liner myself it's just a straight shot up with a soot eater after removing the baffle. That's all he does, but I like the peace of mind knowing a professional did it since my wife and kids are sleeping here. Worth the $ to me.
Ditto, I book a year ahead, same certified sweep past 16+ years, he knows my setup extremely well.

Chimney sweeps do much more than just sweep which most of us can do, the more important part of their job is to inspect and detect potential problems, anomalies, damages, etc. preventing some kind of lurking disaster to protect you, your family and your precious home.