Any advice on safe burn temps for an old Superior ZC fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Pdog

Hearth Supporter
Oct 15, 2010
Central NJ
So I have had a Jotul C550 insert in one home, then a Jotul F400 freestander, loved both of them. Well we now purchased a house with a ZC which was included when the house was built in 1990. Just found the tag on the unit, it is a Superior RC3810 ZC with a vinyl sided chase outside. Needless to say the days of enjoying the whole house being warmed are over with this unit, but with no knowledge of ZC units I want to get smarter.

This is not a stove, it's an open fireplace with sliding screens, no doors. Damper is either open or closed, no in between. Burning hardwood which has been seasoned for over 3 years. With these sort of units, should I have any concerns of overfiring the unit? If so any suggestions on where to measure temps? Maybe I am too concerned based on my previous insert and freestanding days, but this unit is 25+ years old and a ZC, just curious on when someone should start thinking of replacement based on age and safety. Since this gives off nice heat in our large cathedral ceiling FR and not much more throughout the rest of the house, my fear is the tendency to try to make "more heat" and overfire.

We had the flue cleaned but the sweep wasn't very knowledgeable about the unit itself, may try someone else. Replacement would more than likely require removal of the existing brick and be big bucks. Guess the chase could be cut from the outside and replacement that way, would just be limited to the 27"x34" opening I suppose which would limit replacement unit choices. I've seen lot of newer more efficient ZC units that look more like my previous insert which would be nice as well. Maybe next year.

Below is a picture.

IMG_0597_zpswsb50cso.jpg

I wouldn't worry about overheating this unit. Most of the heat is going up the chimney.
Looks like it has draft issues, tho.
The soot on the bricks above the opening is evidence of that.

Reactions: Squisher
I wouldn't worry about overheating this unit. Most of the heat is going up the chimney.
Looks like it has draft issues, tho.
The soot on the bricks above the opening is evidence of that.
My guess would be that the incorrect grate is allowing the fire to me pushed to far forward leading to smoking

Thanks guys. Previous owner informed us it usually took a bit of work to get the draft going. We built 2 fires and just needed to burn a rolled sheet of newspaper for 10 secs or so. That is the grate that was in there, I assume by your comments they make specific grates for these units? Or are there generic units for older ZC units?

The ZC boxes come with their own grates, designed to fit against the back wall & maintain about a 6" distance from the front of the opening of unit.

Reactions: Tech Guru
OK thanks, I will see if I can find one online. Guess the size of our fire will need to be much smaller then :)