any body know what this is?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jwfirebird

Feeling the Heat
Sep 18, 2017
western ny
this and the other tree i think are going to be the majority of next years wood i think. i havent started cutting this so i dont know what the inside looks like and no leaves on anything, any ideas?

this i think is a silver maple i saw came down in the fall, had to very carefully cut this down. was as high as i could reach from the bed of the rhino. i got about 3/4 of this cut down and brought up to the yard today, was a rare sunny day.

The one still standing looks like Black cherry.If you are going to put it out of it's misery.
The ones horizontal and on the ground are soft maple.

Second one looks like red maple. First one -- cherry? Too far for me to tell.

think the first one is a branch off the big tree behind it, as tall as any of the huge trees, thought it would have to be some kind of harder wood to get that big.i have a bunch of old fruit trees(was a farm at one time) and those dont get near as big or strait, those are all knots and that is strait and tall. i will have to look at closer to be sure when im not trying to get some work done. i always try to cut the down ones for wood before cutting anything live. most of the time i dont have to cut anything live. i saw the leaves of the second one in the fall when i was walking around it was green on top and had a silvery kind of color on the bottom.

Soft Maple (silver or Red) Both of them not a doubt about it

Is that vine running along the truck poison Ivy?

Not my pic, but i vote yes. I have 30 acres in western NY that is infested with poison ivy. It is flat and wet here and poison ivy flourishes........so much so, that i dont cut wood much on my own property. I got poison ivy once , one winter , that was so bad that i almost wound up in the hospital. At this point, it is cheaper and easier to have logs dropped at my place......

if you can get wood without it around here you are lucky. i get it terrible too every year i end up with it at least once. some of it is just wild grape but they cover everything and during the summer you can barely get a log moved. another reason i cut in the winter, you are all covered

The vine of poison ivy is very hairy looking . It has a lot of hairy looking tentacles that really grip the bark well . I too, am very allergic to poison ivy , I can pick it out from a distance . To me it looks like a dead poison ivy vine , you could still get it , even dead.

thats why i always wear gloves and a sweatshirt when i touch the wood. i normally get it in the summer and i forget, ill be out on the quad or something and see something down in the trail. always forget till its too late

this is the inside of the first tree now that the snow is gone too a bit easier to see.
it cut like the other maple has smooth bark on the smaller stuff too but its alot heavier and the inside looks way different. the inside of the other one was lighter with a brownish trace in like a many pointed star

was about 2ft were the branch broke. started bringing it up till started raining, but its tough the trail is only half frozen so going the deep spots have ice ledges you have to fight and its quite a way back. ended up covered with cold swamp because i got mega mayhems and had to get after it when i had some wood in it. so i only got maybe a third done. hope it gets colder and freezes or warmer and melts, but i dont think so this year

Reactions: Soundchasm
Defiantly soft maple. Nice and straight, it will be a pleasure to split by hand.

i woulnt be doing it if i had to split it by hand. i tried the first year to do it by hand. never again have had my place for 15 years and the splitter for 14

really more worried about drying. ive never been able to get ahead a year, the stuff i cut and split now i burn this sept. has always been good enough single rows out in the sun and wind. i almost never get maple though, its normally been ash or cherry

The soft maple dries like ash IMO. I'm usually at 20% if cut split stacked before March and burned in October.

Reactions: saewoody
good to hear.
probably work some more tomorrow, supposed to be 40s till the afternoon hoping some of the ice chunks will melt.

Weather , starting Monday should be getting colder and staying cold next week. I would rather cut and haul when the snow is gone but the ground frozen. Where about in Western NY are you?

this and the other tree i think are going to be the majority of next years wood i think. i havent started cutting this so i dont know what the inside looks like and no leaves on anything, any ideas?

View attachment 221233
View attachment 221234
this i think is a silver maple i saw came down in the fall, had to very carefully cut this down. was as high as i could reach from the bed of the rhino. i got about 3/4 of this cut down and brought up to the yard today, was a rare sunny day.
View attachment 221235
View attachment 221236

If Nrford replies to your post he has never been wrong. Take that to the bank. The end. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: nrford
Weather , starting Monday should be getting colder and staying cold next week. I would rather cut and haul when the snow is gone but the ground frozen. Where about in Western NY are you?

kinda half way between rochester and buffalo, north of batavia. i live in a part most years i get more snow than most from lake effect same as batavia. we get it from erie and ontario both and most years its too cold to melt in jan and feb. the swamp back there around those big trees freezes and i just have to deal with some snow. been too warm this year unfortunately though all i can do when its swamp with ice is keep it to three or 4 rounds so i dont loose the clearance and take a hundred million trips. but cant just leave that nice wood out there to be wasted

I hear you about the lake effect .I get it off lake Erie and usually the snow never melts until mid March , but this year its only patchy now. I have a huge tractor with a skidding winch , so I have access , no matter the conditions. During hunting season , I make a map of all the trees that are down so at time like now , I can go out and plan a route to bring in 3-4 at a time , this way I can keep my wood mixed instead of all one species in the stack.. I deal with whole tree length wood , I minimize the trips ,then process the wood when I have time.

Another NY'er here in the lake effect region. Only difference is I'm on the eastern end of Ontario lake. We were on track to set some good records but the jet stream shifted and has brought rain and too much 40 degree weather and has killed most of the snow. Lots of big snowmobile trails have been closed which is a little unusual for how much snow they had prior to the thaw.

haling trees up was the plan when i got the tractor but i dont think it will make it through the swamp when its half frozen. its got industrial tires, i have been through that a few times but i had a 5ft brush mower hanging off the back, during the summer and not trying to haul anything

Westside of Rochester here! Up and down season for sure. Mush and then ruts!

I'm going to go with "It's a Yamaha Rhino." :)