Any Chemists out there?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tsmith

Minister of Fire
Sep 13, 2009
Kutztown, PA
I am able to purchase a 55 gallon metal drum to attach my corn vac too for cleaning my corn. The drums had Methanol with blue dye in them, also called windshield washer solvent. I know methanol is flammable, but i was wondering if I wash it out good with water, or soap and water and then let it evaporate, will it be ok to clean my corn into it? I can buy these drums for $5.00, the guy says a lot of people buy them for burning scrap in them so i guess it should be ok but i wanna be sure.

Hell just put it in a clear open place, and with the lid off burn out the methanol.

I'm not a chemist, but since alchohol (methanol) mixes w/ water, I'd say it's pretty safe to use it after washing out w/ soap & water. just let them dry completely.

Thanks for the info, I am going to wash it good through the hole that is already in it and let it dry good before I start drilling into it for the corn vac hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.