1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Any functional advantages of enamal vs. matte black for Jotuls???

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by WestVirginian, Dec 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WestVirginian

WestVirginian New Member

Hi everyone--

So I'm thinking of getting a Jotul Oslo 500. Now I just have to choose whether to get the matte black, or go with an enamel color. The matte black is $200 cheaper, but for something that I hope is going to be in our house for 25 years, I could splurge the extra $200 for the enamel.

My question is, other than aesthetics, are there any advantages/disadvantages to take into consideration when choosing the enamel, vs. unadulterated cast iron? I've heard of the enamel chipping. But it also seems like it could be easier to keep looking good. Some of the used cast iron stoves I've seen on eBay look a bit worn, and like they need some regular coatings of stove polish or paint.

And are there any functional differences in terms of radiating heat? Would the enamel ever reduce the amount of heat radiated?

Any other factors I haven't asked about that I should be considering?

Thanks so much for any information. Ian

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. adrpga498

adrpga498 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New Jersey
    Funtionality would be the same. I went with matte black. Like Henry Ford once said, They can have any color they want as long as its black.
  3. joshuaviktor

joshuaviktor New Member

Loc:
    Northwest New Jersey
    You can buy soapstone in slabs, chunks, or pieces. Think about building your own soapstone top.
  4. adrpga498

adrpga498 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New Jersey
    Can't say that is the case here downeast. Burn 24/7 and still looks great into 5th season. And I have no intention to lug it outside to spray. Just my thoughts.
  5. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    We've had both and now are sticking with enamel finshes. Enameled stoves continue to look sharp year after year. Unfinished stoves tend to attract dust and ash. Remember, it will be idle, collecting dust for 4-5 months of the year. Enameled stoves clean up in minutes with a damp towel. Our Jotul has the blue-black finish which gets a lot of compliments.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.