Any harm in storing wood in garage?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would not stack wood in the garage unless it is already dried. In October, we move wood into our barn and this is enough to get us through the winter and I'll have that space to use during the summer months. It works well but remember that we have wood in there only during the late fall and winter months.

View attachment 128329 View attachment 128330 View attachment 128331 View attachment 128332

Damn, Savage that is a serious setup you got there. Wood stacked to the ceiling, ATV + trailer what is not to like :)

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Richard, we usually burn only 3 cord per winter. Perhaps a little more this year though.

SeattleRider, I have a wood rack in my attached garage. Its 27' long and holds 16" splits stacked 4+' high. My cats love to sit in the garage and watch the stack. They're great mousers!

View attachment 128286

I've never noticed a bug issue, mice yes, bugs no.

I live in tick country (lyme disease) and the major carrier of Deer Tick nymphs are field mice. To try to eliminate as many nymphs as possible, I made PVC tubes with permethrin treated cotton balls in them. The theory is that the mice will steal the balls as nesting material, the permethrin will kill the ticks and not harm the mice. I can't say for certain just how effective it is at reducing the tick population, but for the few $ I have invested in it, it can't hurt. This winter, I've been feeding my fireplace with wood from the garage. I found where all the cotton balls from the tubes scattered around my yard have ended up. I guess the mice don't mind the permethrin....

One of the mouse nests...
View attachment 128287

YMMV, do as you see fit, but I've never had a bug problem with my garage storage. Stock it with dry, ready to burn wood, and be prepared to find a mouse or two in the pile some day...

Nice kayaks! I want to get a few

Oh and the wood looks good too ;)

Spectracide Bug Kill and then wood. Sounds like a plan. Nice stacks. I hope I learn that art when I get wood to stack (next couple of months my trees will be felled, c/s/s for 2016-2017 season).

Status
Not open for further replies.