Any ideas for retrofitting my chimney-less coal box with a direct-vent stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

overhear

Apr 25, 2011
I really want to install a gas stove in my living room where I have a marble mantle surrounding a defunct coal box. Unfortunately the chimney behind the coal box isn't available because the flue is being used to vent my basement furnace. Coal box size: 10D x 22W x 27H (more dimensions in the image)

I just can't figure out how to install a gas stove in this room without it looking really awkward given that the mantle is a big focal point. I've asked around and it seems there's no way to vent a gas insert within the surround. I'd be happy to put a small stove in front of the mantle but I don't see how the vent wouldn't be unsightly.

I'd love any suggestions for how to make this work!

living room again.jpg living room fireplace_dimensions.jpg

Depending on what the outside of your house behind the fireplace looks like,
or is manufactured out of, you should be able to run venting straight off the
back of a DV stove. A Jotul GF 300 Allagash might work with a short leg kit.

Last edited:
A valor insert that looks like an old coal insert would look great in there is there is a way to direct vent out the back. Is that old flue lined for the furnace? If so is there room for a 3 or 4" liner in there? If not it really should be lined

A valor insert that looks like an old coal insert would look great in there is there is a way to direct vent out the back. Is that old flue lined for the furnace? If so is there room for a 3 or 4" liner in there? If not it really should be lined

I have a valor President in my den and it really does look nice, but I just don't think I can vent through the back because of the situation with my chimney. The chimney's brick and is currently unlined, but I'm definitely planning to line it. It runs through the interior of the house from the basement, and through the 1st and 2nd floors (see pic). Unfortunately, I've been told that it's not wide enough to fit the furnace flue and vent a gas stove ... but of course, hope springs eternal.

Attachments

• Northern exterior_with markup.jpg
    Northern exterior_with markup.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 125