Any ideas?(that work)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tbuff

Feeling the Heat
Dec 7, 2007
Central NJ
Does anyone have any trial tested ways of circulating the heat throughout there entire house. My house is only about 1250sqft, and all room branch directly off the living room(where the stove is) any ideas?

Tom(NJ)

Some of those nubile ancient egyptian girls waving big palm leaves would be nice. Let's start with one at every door, and an extra one to peel the grapes.

From what I have read in the past its easier to move the cold air from other rooms to the room with the stove.
Doing that will move the warm air though the house

Put those 4 quackers to work and tell them to get flapping! :)

If you can post a floorplan we can look for the best way, but in this case a simple ceiling fan might suffice.

I agree with no man, it seems easier to pull the cold air to the stove than to move the warm air around. Also include with the floor plan your stove setup, do you use a blower, insert or freestanding? I've found that the cold air is already being drawn to the stove by the blower so I just help it along!

After reading about the concept of blowing cool air into the heated room, with a fan down low, I tried it. AMAZING RESULTS. The whole house is a more even temp now! I am also using the furnace fan to move air through the ductwork.

When I started the fan, the heated room was 68F, the next room 64, and the rest of the house 62. Within 20 minutes it was 68, 66 and 64, and within an hour it was 70, 70, 64.

Push cold air into the stove room from the kitchen. Have both a window and a door to the sun room from it. Cold air goes back through the window, hot air comes in the door. Thinking about using one duct from the ceiling to the upstairs room as well (Cape, about 1200 sf) and bring the heat back down the stairs.

I once did something like this and it worked.....

Installed a small (relatively quiet) bath fan in the ceiling of the room with the stove - and ran a duct from that to the further spot in the hallway of the house - by sucking the heat from the ceiling and depositing it a distance away, it seems to set up a circulation.

What I do to get heat through my rambling ranch: put blower on insert to max - this gets max heat out of the stove. Shut off all ceiling fans - this gets a convective current going - picture a 'river' of hot air flowing up from the stove, hitting the ceiling and flowing outward. Put a couple of 5" box fans on the ceiling pointing in strategic locations - ie down a long hallway, or into a 'wing' of the house.

You can certainly 'push cold air' across the floor with mostly the same effect, but I hate walking through -or setting in- a blast of cold, drafty air, so it is much more comfortable to move heat across the ceiling where you don't directly feel the draft

I think the cold to warm theory works best but it is important to know how the air is naturally circulating to begin with. If you do have some natural circulation, I would look to make it better - whether that means a ceiling fan or doorway fan or a fan in a far off corner blowing across the floor. I use a doorway fan blowing the warm air upstairs - which is really just adding to the natural circulation - warm air up and the cold air down along the stairs.

To push this cold air theory envelope more, I open all the windows and door on the opposite side of the house and run fans full blast pushing the icy air towards the stove.
Sometimes I feel a difference. Sometimes I don't feel anything.

How much are do those fan ladies charge?

We have a whole house air filtration system which moves the house air around & recycles it something like 10x/hr. Between that and the fan blower on out insert it gets warmth all rooms in the house, even with doors closed.

Webmaster said:
I once did something like this and it worked.....

Installed a small (relatively quiet) bath fan in the ceiling of the room with the stove - and ran a duct from that to the further spot in the hallway of the house - by sucking the heat from the ceiling and depositing it a distance away, it seems to set up a circulation.

I did a similar thing, but on the cold air side. My stove was in the basement, outside steel flue, and I had already filled the house with smoke once by reversing the chimney flow (yuck) trying to get hot air out of the room, so I ran a fan forced cold air return to the stove room floor. In the end, it gave that heavy cold air an escape route so the bouyant hot air could move in, and gave the air back to the room the stove was in to help the depressurisation issue I had.

Just an update. The past few nights have been a little chilly, so I decided to use the stove for a while. within an hour of lighting off, I bought the temp in the house from 62 to 71'f. So I decided to check out how even the heat was throught my 3bed ranch. To my amazement the heat was very even throughout the house, in fact it was only about a degree or two off from where the stove is located to our master bed(which is always freezing) I took the advice of a few of you guys, and ran the ceiling fan. I ran it in the slow speed, and ran all the others in the other rooms. It seems to have worked. The true test will be when the temp really drops. Thanks for the advice.

Tom(NJ)

I tried fans but didn't like the noise, breeze or their effectiveness. I think you are better off just using the stove and on really cold days an electric heater on the far side of the home.

I think when its in the 30s the house stays at a even temperature but as it gets colder the rooms will get cooler and the temps will start to spread.

Status
Not open for further replies.