Any information?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mass Effect

Apr 25, 2022
Texas
Does anybody have information on the (Martin Stove & Range Co.) It was located in Florence, Alabama. The Martin brother's bought out the King Stove Co. in about 1907 and they were in operation until 1917 when the foundry burned down. I own one of the company's stove's and have been searching. My Stove was manufactured between 1912 and 1917...information is hard to come by because they lost all record's in the fire of 1917. Unlike their cookware!

20220412_090508.jpg 20220424_182433.jpg 20220425_084250.jpg 20220412_090338.jpg

Looks like a camp stove. We had a posting on a similar one just a month ago.

Looks like a camp stove. We had a posting on a similar one just a month ago.
I know it is a rare No. 8-16 Perfection model cook stove. That is it however I found one exactly like mine that sold
un-refurbished for 1200.00 dollar's. I'm actually looking for a treatment that can be done without refinishing it! It is in original shape and I prefer to keep it that way! Thank's for replying....here is a picture of that Stove I ran across. It seems awfully over valued if it is indeed a camp stove!

View attachment 295071

20220425_112853.jpg

Last edited:
Antique or collector value is sometimes in the eyes of the beholder, but for a stove in excellent condition, this is not a rare price.

With a quick search I found a fair number of them. With sales prices from just over $100 to just over $1000. So like all antiques value is going to depend on market and finding the right person

Antique or collector value is sometimes in the eyes of the beholder, but for a stove in excellent condition, this is not a rare price.
Yes sir...I meant the stove itself. Mine is in very good condition and un-refurbished since I picked it up in 1996. I thought I had overpaid at 350.00, but it has turned out to be a good investment although with the way things are looking...it might pay off in a different way! Someone made the mistake at least once to put paint on it...I want to keep it as it is and I'm looking for something to treat the metal with besides the polish or Paint to keep rust away! Would you have any suggestion's???

Yes sir...I meant the stove itself. Mine is in very good condition and un-refurbished since I picked it up in 1996. I thought I had overpaid at 350.00, but it has turned out to be a good investment although with the way things are looking...it might pay off in a different way! Someone made the mistake at least once to put paint on it...I want to keep it as it is and I'm looking for something to treat the metal with besides the polish or Paint to keep rust away! Would you have any suggestion's???
Paint is the best solution especially since it has been painted already.

Paint is the best solution especially since it has been painted already.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm looking for something to keep it as is. Yes the old paint is coming off...which shows me it is not worth the temporary job it does and since it is cleaned by hand at least once a year and usually twice a year...I would rather keep it in its condition not create a new sightly condition. Thanks though

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm looking for something to keep it as is. Yes the old paint is coming off...which shows me it is not worth the temporary job it does and since it is cleaned by hand at least once a year and usually twice a year...I would rather keep it in its condition not create a new sightly condition. Thanks though
Anything you do is going to be temporary. If you want to prevent rust you only real options are paint or just oil which will need cleaned off before use. Polish doesn't do much at all to prevent rust.

The stove would have originally been finished with stove polish or stove black which needed to be reapplied regularly. As soon as high temp paints became available they quickly replaced polish because they are much more durable. But in this case the paint probably didn't stick because the old polish wasn't removed completely.

Yes, if old polish is not completely removed the wax component prevents a good bond for the new paint. It needs to be thoroughly cleaned of old paint and residues with a rotary wire brush, then wiped down with a solvent before painting.

You mentioned it has been painted. You want original, and would like something other than paint or polish. Here is why you don't want original, and paint is the best alternative;

First, you have to understand what the protective coating originally was. This was bare cast iron coated with stove polish. Buffed smooth and shiny. Then fired for final cure. Stove Black, or polish was used before high temperature paints were formulated. The coating is not impervious to water and water vapor like paint, so the metal will rust under and through the coating. Polish requires reapplication and sometimes abrasive to remove rust under coating that forms since when unused, water vapor in the air goes right through the polish. That is the problem with keeping it original. It comes with constant upkeep. Paint is far superior.

Paint when done correctly is the best protective coating, and does not crack, or peel off. It can be removed with paint remover if the original finish is desired. It does not decrease the value since it is there as a protective coating that can be removed. It is soft until fired for final cure. So you can spray multiple coats or wipe with mineral spirits until you get the finish you want before firing. You can't simply paint over cured polish. When heated for final cure, the pores in cast iron open and allow more polish under the paint out of the base metal. It is not easy removing original coats of polish. The best is having it sand or media blasted down to bare cast iron. Paint with a good high temp paint, and fire outside with a few pieces of stove pipe installed for final cure.

You're getting answers from pros that recondition and install stoves. When one comes along with polish and paint, I offer half the value since the time to remove all coating and paint, or blast and reapply polish back to original can be extensive. Reconditioning a stove with coats of polish is also double the cost of removing paint only. You can wipe old polish with lacquer thinner, wire wheel it, wipe again, torch the surface, try anything from naval jelly to lye. When you heat the stove and wipe with a damp rag, black will come off until it is blasted. You "can" get it good enough with a wire wheel and thinner, but blasting is days quicker.

Stove Bright Satin Black will give you the original look without the hassle of polish that will not protect the iron as well as impervious paint.

The top of the stove was treated differently. Lard was used the same as seasoning a cast iron pan. The lard or oil polymerizes with heat, or cross links becoming a different material capable of higher temps before burning off. Since a stove top goes over 500*f, this must be done constantly. Today pigs are fed differently, and the lard is not the same. Crisco works, as well as some oils with a high smoke point. If you use bacon grease when hot, and mind the stove top temp, it can last a long time. (I do bacon about 3 times and wipe a medium hot top which builds up a good seasoned coating if you keep top temps from smoking the coating off) There is an entire science behind it. But anything on a stove top needs maintenance. It must be heated with any oils since over time they go rancid and smell if not cured. If this will not be used, boiled linseed oil allowed to dry on the cold top will put a hard coating on it after drying a few days. I do the bottom of lids and inside firebox for a display stove to protect the iron from moisture and air. It's a durable almost clear coating. For display only, the top could be painted with the rest of the stove, but that is far from original. I would blast, paint, fire, and linseed oil the cold top. (Polish is not for the machined smooth surface or smooth steel plate, it is for rough cast iron only)

bholler please list all those quick searches for Martin Stove & Range cook stove's you found that are a 100 dollar's...would you please I would appreciate it.
Coaly have you heard of Carduret of iron or Rising Sun? With those you can polish cast iron and it prevent's rust for quite a while. Both are older brand's. Rising sun was made by 2 manufacturer's (Prescott and Moore's Bro's

bholler please list all those quick searches for Martin Stove & Range cook stove's you found that are a 100 dollar's...would you please I would appreciate it.
Coaly have you heard of Carduret of iron or Rising Sun? With those you can polish cast iron and it prevent's rust for quite a while. Both are older brand's. Rising sun was made by 2 manufacturer's (Prescott and Moore's Bro's
I didn't say they were all $100 that was the low I saw.

I was just saying I saw quite a few for sale. Some at low prices some high. So I think that page you linked to claiming they were very rare may be stretching the truth. I am by no means an antique appraiser I know old stoves but certainly am not qualified to give a value.

Last edited:
They used black lead as well which apparently worked very well. But for obvious reasons wasn't a good idea