Any last minute words of advice before we take the plunge?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jan99

Dec 15, 2009
Central Massachusetts
<-----Noob :)

Just wanted to say thankyou to the Hearth.com forums. This place is fantastic. I've been lurking...in the cold...for awhile researching wood and pellet stoves and would have been completely clueless had I not found this forum. (Now I'm incompletely clueless :p).

My husband and I are about to go to Higgins Energy in Barre, MA and buy a Harmon Accentra FS (very excited!!!!!). We have a 1600 sq ft 15 year old saltbox colonial and will be putting stove on the 1st floor, corner install in the living room which is open to an eat-in kitchen. This is the area we need to heat really...it's cold! The 2nd floor has a small landing area at top of staircase and 3 small bedrooms and a bathroom off the landing area...no hallways.

I've read the post on what to do before installers arrive and have done a few searches on Harmon, installations, venting etc.... so much info here... we are going to vent either up and out or out and up (even though guy at dealer is saying that is not necessary ?). They use "Security" brand pellet piping. Couple questions:

Has anyone had experience with this brand?
Security website says the pipes interlock and don't need high temp silicion seal...is this okay?

We have a generator and with this new pellet stove are hoping to buy less oil and be ready for MORE ICE!!!! hee hee

Any last minute advice for a couple of noobs?

First... be sure your dealer is SERVICE ORIENTED.... many sell but don't have a clue how to help when you have a problem. Remember your warranty is only as good as your dealer.

Second... buy good quality pellets... you've seen the discussions on what's available in your area...

Third... Realize that your stove WILL require some cleaning and maintenance... expect to do a THROUGH cleaning of the stove AND vent system after every ton burned OR SOONER. If you are going to do a verticle vent install go OUT then UP... makes it easier (and cleaner) to do your vent maintenance...

Good luck...

I have to say I have the Accentra insert which has the same workings and output and I too have a home of nearly the same size. While I do not know your layout I know my center hall colonial at 1,880 sq feet is kept nice and toasty warm. To the point that my stove is down right now do to a feed issue (something has jammed the feeder) and at only 4 weeks old the service tech is coming out to look at what it could be, we are temporarily running the electric heat and the house feels cold to my wife (she is from the south).

Once you have it running you will not turn it off while you are home.

Just to give you an idea. The room the stove is in is 78, the upstairs bedrooms are 71 and the kitchen, dinning room and den is 73/74. I could stabilze the room more if I cut some vents to the upstairs but I am not that ambitious YET.

jtakeman said:
krooser has very good advice. I agree.

I feel like we're soul mates...
11_2_111.gif
image.gif

krooser said:
jtakeman said:

36_3_18.gif
social.gif

he completes you. hee hee

Tx all.

Yeah, I've read some of the dealer/service horror stories and as far as I can tell Higgins has a good service dept and reputation but I will def. ask detailed questions before I sign dotted line. Krooser you answered the question I was trying to ask but I rambled....the OUT then up install is easier to clean...GOT IT TY.

Similar house, here. Same stove...corner install...open first floor....no problems!

Although, mine is a garrison colonial...second floor is bigger than the first. The bedrooms stay about 5-6 degrees cooler than the temp in the stove room. If I had to guess, I'd guess that the smaller bedrooms in your house would make for a closer temperature spread.

Good choice, sounds like you did your homework. Enjoy your new stove and make sure to post a picture after it's installed!

krooser said:
jtakeman said:

11_2_111.gif
social.gif

UHG! You aint right! :blank:

Try to say something nice and agree with him. Then he gets all cuddly even. YUK!

Last time I agree with you! :sick: ICK even! I gonna be sick. Eeeewwwwhhh. :red:

Jan99 said:
<-----Noob :)

Just wanted to say thankyou to the Hearth.com forums. This place is fantastic. I've been lurking...in the cold...for awhile researching wood and pellet stoves and would have been completely clueless had I not found this forum. (Now I'm incompletely clueless :p).

My husband and I are about to go to Higgins Energy in Barre, MA and buy a Harmon Accentra FS (very excited!!!!!). We have a 1600 sq ft 15 year old saltbox colonial and will be putting stove on the 1st floor, corner install in the living room which is open to an eat-in kitchen. This is the area we need to heat really...it's cold! The 2nd floor has a small landing area at top of staircase and 3 small bedrooms and a bathroom off the landing area...no hallways.

I've read the post on what to do before installers arrive and have done a few searches on Harmon, installations, venting etc.... so much info here... we are going to vent either up and out or out and up (even though guy at dealer is saying that is not necessary ?). They use "Security" brand pellet piping. Couple questions:

Has anyone had experience with this brand?
Security website says the pipes interlock and don't need high temp silicion seal...is this okay?

We have a generator and with this new pellet stove are hoping to buy less oil and be ready for MORE ICE!!!! hee hee

Any last minute advice for a couple of noobs?

Read up a bit before plugging pellet stove into generator. Although I've never done it personally I seem to recall numerous threads where people destroyed expensive pellet stove components by running on the generator.

Higgins Ive heard is a good outfit. The only thing I would add is make sure its a direct drive Accentra (no chain drive)

Alot of love in this thread! :D hee hee

Plunge taken, just ordered the stove, very excited!!!

Tx all. I'll search for info on using generators and we will be getting a good UPS too.

One more question: will be a kitty corner install so the stove guy said they will be installing a Tee off the stove to accomplish the bend to then get the pipe out the wall. The pipe outside will go up about 4' with another Tee. Guy seemed concerned having 2 Tees will mean we need to clean alot more often. He was trying to convince me I don't need to vent up 4' and to just vent horizontally.

Does anyone having any ideas/comments/experience/issues with the kitty corner/2 Tee setup?

tx again, pictures to follow (hopefully in couple weeks)

how does one obtain 'pellet pig'-edness :)

edit: oooh 'direct drive' shoot didnt realize there were options?? I did ask them about 5 times to confirm I am not buying a stove made in 2008 and sitting in the warehouse...guy thought I was nuts I think.

Jan99 said:
Alot of love in this thread! :D hee hee

Plunge taken, just ordered the stove, very excited!!!

Tx all. I'll search for info on using generators and we will be getting a good UPS too.

One more question: will be a kitty corner install so the stove guy said they will be installing a Tee off the stove to accomplish the bend to then get the pipe out the wall. The pipe outside will go up about 4' with another Tee. Guy seemed concerned having 2 Tees will mean we need to clean alot more often. He was trying to convince me I don't need to vent up 4' and to just vent horizontally.

Does anyone having any ideas/comments/experience/issues with the kitty corner/2 Tee setup?

tx again, pictures to follow (hopefully in couple weeks)

how does one obtain 'pellet pig'-edness :)

edit: oooh 'direct drive' shoot didnt realize there were options??

Are they selling you 3" or 4" pipe ? My dealer doesn't even bother with 3" pipe ever and I have heard of so many people regretting their 3" pipe... I am glad to have my 4" pipe even though I could easily get away with 3"... So anyway even if his concerns about the elbows or tees are valid you can solve the issue with larger pipe. Would be money well spent IMHO.

4 inch pipe and I didn't even have to ask they put it in as 4'' so that's a good sign. The installers are supposed to come to the house to check out the area before they do the actual install too.

Pellet Pig requirements start with having three tons on hand before the first frost of the year (I you act quickly, you might be able to squeak in on the technicality. If you order more than 3 tons now you just might get them before January 1, 2010). But to be certain ask macman as the word is you have to send him the dues and he is the one who does all of the certifying (the fact that he's certifiable doesn't enter into consideration). After you send him the dues he'll have a list of questions for you to answer, depending on your answers you might get special status such as Gold Star or Hogzilla.

Lousyweather said:
Higgins Ive heard is a good outfit. The only thing I would add is make sure its a direct drive Accentra (no chain drive)

Hi Louseyweather, Higgins just called to set up install dates and I spoke to them and they will specify 'direct drive' stove on the order. It's interesting because the guy wasn't all that familiar with the change from chain to direct...he was laughing at me (in a good way). lol

Smokey...oh boy..I'm not even close to pellet pig. Heck I'm don't even qualifying for pellet PIGLET!!! I may need to bribe macman...um eh.. I mean get in on the 'technicality' :)

Jan99 said:
Smokey...oh boy..I'm not even close to pellet pig. Heck I'm don't even qualifying for pellet PIGLET!!! I may need to bribe macman...um eh.. I mean get in on the 'technicality' :)

BUD LIGHT goes vary far with macman! ;-)

Bud Lite is (like pellets) a decent "technicality", although Yuengling or Stella will get instant "results". ;-)

Jan99 said:
.....will be a kitty corner install so the stove guy said they will be installing a Tee off the stove to accomplish the bend to then get the pipe out the wall. The pipe outside will go up about 4' with another Tee. Guy seemed concerned having 2 Tees will mean we need to clean alot more often. He was trying to convince me I don't need to vent up 4' and to just vent horizontally.

Now, getting back to the subject of the stove install, I'm having a hard time understanding the need for a tee out of the stove if it's "kitty corner".....a Tee will only give you a 90 degree turn.

Anyway, make sure the installer uses an appliance adapter off the stove (well sealed w/ silicone & 3 screws), and I'd go 4" pipe for sure. That will take care of any issues with( 2) 90's in the piping.

And of course the installer wants to go just horizontal...it's easier for him. And HE won't have to deal with the smoke in the house if the power goes out and the wind/pressure blow it back in. You NEED at least 3-4 Ft. of vertical.....it helps the draft of the stove some too.

Jan99 said:
4 inch pipe and I didn't even have to ask they put it in as 4'' so that's a good sign. The installers are supposed to come to the house to check out the area before they do the actual install too.

Yep, they came to see the job first AND installed 4" pipe without even asking. Awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.