Any need to clean residual kerosene in container before using for gasoline?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KenLockett

Minister of Fire
Dec 27, 2011
Eastern Upstate NY
Bought a galvanized steel 5 gallon metal container at an antique store this morning that was used recently for storing kerosene. Well the can is empty although there is some residual kerosene in it as you would expect. Based upon my research it would indicate that with the minimal amount of fuel remaining that there is no harm in going ahead and putting gasoline in it without first flushing (if so not even sure what I would use - other than gasoline!!). Does everyone on here agree with this analysis? I need to replace my plastic five gallon gasoline can and absolutely despise these new 'safety' cans. The new metal can is in excellent shape and is marked for kerosene (Eagle Brand). Before anyone begins reprimanding based upon the fact that I intend to use a blue Kerosene can for gasoline I am aware of the safety aspect of the blue versus red can markings. No one but my self will be using the can so no mistake possible. If I eventually get a diesel tractor will most likely use it for diesel. Thanks in advance for any advice.

I would rinse the can out to make sure there is no junk in there.

BoB

Is it a blue can marked for kerosene, or a red can marked for gasoline? All sorts of fun can ensue when you use a can marked for one fuel with another.

Reactions: TreePointer
Been there, done that, no issues.

Gasoline would be an excellent solvent for cleaning diesel residue out of that can; however, as others have stated, the small amount of residue in five gallons of gasoline shouldn't hurt a gasoline engine.

My greater concern would be any dust/dirt/debris in the can. I'd swirl a little bit of gasoline in that can to get rid of any dirt that you may not easily see. Also, if it nozzle comes apart, I'd clean any gaskets or filters at that time, too.

If you don't want to alter the can by repainting it or writing "GASOLINE" on it, I'd at least put a tag on the handle indicating that it contains gasoline. Crazy things happen. You never know how events in your life may change. Years later, someone other than you might use the contents of that can.

Reactions: Ashful
Gasoline would be an excellent solvent for cleaning diesel residue out of that can; however, as others have stated, the small amount of residue in five gallons of gasoline shouldn't hurt a gasoline engine.

My greater concern would be any dust/dirt/debris in the can. I'd swirl a little bit of gasoline in that can to get rid of any dirt that you may not easily see. Also, if it nozzle comes apart, I'd clean any gaskets or filters at that time, too.

If you don't want to alter the can by repainting it or writing "GASOLINE" on it, I'd at least put a tag on the handle indicating that it contains gasoline. Crazy things happen. You never know how events in your life may change. Years later, someone other than you might use the contents of that can.

Ok. Thanks. Good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.