Any new law about front of stove needing 18 inch floor protection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is already 18" in Canada.

Hadn't heard anything about the US standard changing for new installs, but I got 22" on mine and wish I had more.

I think it is already 18" in Canada.

Hadn't heard anything about the US standard changing for new installs, but I got 22" on mine and wish I had more.
I agree with this. Even if your stove of choice says 16", IMO, it's too little. I'm a careful burner, but I have a couple of small melted burns on my carpet. It usually happens when some split decides to spit an ember out which you can't really control. If I were to do it over, I'd do it with 18" at least, as Canada requires anyway. If the standard is changing, I think it would be a good thing.

Most such specs seem to be quite conservative, but not in this case.

Last edited:
Canadian wood spits a little farther than the stuff here in the States.
It's a latitude thing.;lol

Have heard that the standard 16 in for floor thermal and or ember is no longer in effect, any one hear different?
Where did you "hear" this info?

I have to say, I've heard this too, but I can't recall the sources. It may be that new stoves will be 18" but existing installations grandfathered. I really don't know.

I've got 20 inches and there have been a few times when I wish I had more.....

pics or it didn't happen. >>

Some stove manufacturers have already gone to 18 inch front clearance. Another Jotul Oslo requirement.

In the U.S. and Canada

The Jøtul F 500 must be installed on a non-combustible surface extending:

A minimum of 18" (457mm) in front of the stove and the left side load door (measured from the legs).

And 8" (200mm) on the right side and back of the stove (measured from side and back panels).

I do not know if NFPA 211 recommends 18 inches of clearance in front of the stove or not. In any case I believe what ever the stove manual requires would be appropriate unless a local governing body has more stringent requirements. In that case the stricter local code would apply over the manual.

In that case the stricter local code would apply over the manual.
no the manual on a ul listed appliance overrides code

Thanks. I did not know that. When I checked with our local regs people they just said " we don't care. Just don't burn the house down."

Status
Not open for further replies.