Any new stoves available soon?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

semipro

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 12, 2009
SW Virginia
I was wondering if anyone was aware of any recently- or soon to be-released stoves out there. I've been looking for a free-standing wood stove for a a while that will fit in my existing 1st floor fireplace. As I've mentioned in a previous post I want to use a stove on our 1st floor instead of in our uninsulated basement. Our house is about 2000 ft^2 and the 1st floor has many windows. I'd like to stuff a pretty big stove in there if possible. A VC Encore would fit if I chopped the legs but I'm hesitant to do that. I like top-loading but that's an obvious no-go with this install (I want the stove to sit at least somewhat back in the fireplace opening. We like the look of cast iron.

I've attached a picture of the existing fireplace which now has a propane unit installed in it. In case you're wondering the space I'm building to the right of the fireplace is going to be a firewood pass through hidden behind a built-in bookcase (more on that when I finish).

I've got to find a stove, complete the pass-through, and line the chimney all before burning season!

Cheers, Andy

Attachments

• IMG_1242 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1242 (Medium).JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 572
If I'm understanding you correctly, you intend to put the stove inside that fireplace, correct? IF so, wouldn't a fireplace insert be what you want there?

If you are going with a stove, then why not pull it out onto the hearth to it can radiate out in more directions, then you can use the top or side loading (if the selected stove does this). Your options for stoves then is wider. It looks like you have a considerable depth to your hearth there to work with, but pictures are rather hard to go by sometimes...

An insert would ruin the look of that arched fireplace opening. I am not a fan of inserts, so I understand all the benefits of a freestanding stove.

We'll at least need measurements of the fireplace to be able to try to find something that fits. Also, the hearth depth. Do you intend to add depth to the hearth to allow a larger stove to hang out of the fireplace more? Do you intend to keep any hearth at all?

Semipro said:
I was wondering if anyone was aware of any recently- or soon to be-released stoves out there. I've been looking for a free-standing wood stove for a a while that will fit in my existing 1st floor fireplace. As I've mentioned in a previous post I want to use a stove on our 1st floor instead of in our uninsulated basement. Our house is about 2000 ft^2 and the 1st floor has many windows. I'd like to stuff a pretty big stove in there if possible. A VC Encore would fit if I chopped the legs but I'm hesitant to do that. I like top-loading but that's an obvious no-go with this install (I want the stove to sit at least somewhat back in the fireplace opening. We like the look of cast iron.

I've attached a picture of the existing fireplace which now has a propane unit installed in it. In case you're wondering the space I'm building to the right of the fireplace is going to be a firewood pass through hidden behind a built-in bookcase (more on that when I finish).

I've got to find a stove, complete the pass-through, and line the chimney all before burning season!

Cheers, Andy

Measurements would definitely be needed. I just went through the same thing in trying to fit a stove into a relatively small fireplace. I ended up going with an Intrepid II for the short term (which is too small for your needs), but long term I will be swapping it out with a flush mounted insert.

I don't think you will be ahead of the game by looking for a newly released model...unless you find that nothing on the market satisfies you.
Not much new except some really modern designs...nice, but unless that is what you want (they usually have small fireboxes), then you might be better of just exploring the existing stoves.

The other advantage is that you get something with years of experience behind it.

I'll post back with some dimensions.

Agreed, tried and true is desirable, but I was hoping maybe someone has released a new stove that would fit this particular application better that what I could find already on the market.

I struggled with insert versus free-standing but the flexibility of freestanding has won out as we may end up using the stove elsewhere. Also, one of our favorite attributes of wood-burning is the lack of mechanical noises and the presence of good ones. The fan of an insert would ruin that for us. There are other reasons also. That said, we really like the look of an insert better especially those by Extraordinaire.

Not to bust your bubble, but it is very possible that even a free stander half in/half out may need a fan to get the air moving. Several on this site have mentioned the improved heat output by doing this.

It's going to be really difficult to get any heat out of that thing if it's recessed in that stone fireplace. That stone is a really good conductor of heat and will pull the heat right off the stove for many many hours until it heats up. The plus side is that it will then radiate the heat for a while, but unless the back of that stone is REALLY well insulated from the outside, all the way up to the roof, you're going to be losing a lot of heat. You will absolutely need a fan to get the heat out of the stove, or you will need to pull the stove out from the recession.

My stove is only partially inside a fireplace recession, central to the home, and even then I often feel like a lot of the heat is getting trapped within the sides of the fireplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.