Any Objections to Placing Wood On Top or Leaning on Stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodjack

Minister of Fire
Jan 10, 2008
Woodstock, NY
I opened this thread just to see how bad the original poster would get reamed.
Sometimes I think people over react, but on second thought it's a good thing. I walked right over to my stove and checked to make sure my woodpile was far away enough from my stove. We're all prone to bendng the rules, taking chances, and being forgetful (have you ever cracked the door and forgot about it?). This community is great at helping keep other safe. I'd do a lot more stupid shi*t if not for you guys. Thanks all.

Oh I got reamed alright. But hey I don't know that anyone here was an expert at wood burning the first year. And yes common sense would tell me that wood on hot surface is not a good idea but I was told once by a very smart man that the only stupid question is the one not asked.
I would not be here if I didn't need help. Lol

Lay your seasoned damp wood on the hearth to dry out...lot's of us do that. It's way too easy to fall asleep in front of a warm stove ...another good reason never ever to have any wood like combustibles touch the stove.

KatWill said:
...Other than the obvious danger, are there any objections to doing this?

None whatsoever. Rick

Franks said:
I just keep a 48" wood ring about 2 feet from the stove and keep that full of wood. I buy green wood because it's cheaper and after 8-12 hours next to big bertha, the wood burns great.

Split 3 pieces, measure moisture content, put rest next to fire, wait 10 hours, split three more, tell me the difference. Then maybe I'll believe that it burns any better than if you'd just thrown it on. Or am I missing the sarcasm?

I haven't been around long, but I learned real quick that these aren't a bunch of touchy feely guys. They'll tell you what they think without regard for how stern they might sound. It's important to remember won't think any less of you if you did/do something dumb UNLESS you keep being dumb and don't follow their advice. 'nuff said.

They are trying to keep your dna in the gene pool. Don't do it!

This summer was a very wet one in Dutchess County NY and I'm finding that the wood is somewhat wet. With a nice hot fire going, I usually lean wood pieces on the stove. Always careful enough to keep a close eye on it. But I notice that I get really good results from doing that. Other than the obvious danger, are there any objections to doing this?

Well, burning your house down might be one objection I could think of.

My stove easily gets as hot as the flash point of wood, which suggests it could ignite. Somewhere around 55 or 600 I think.

A newspaper article three years ago about somebody that torched their house doing that.

Don't!

Sh$t happens. People get distracted and lose track of time or what they were doing. The risks far outweigh the rewards. Get your wood in springtime, dry it in the summer and completely avoid this issue. Build a woodshed if need be, so that the wood can dry.

My 1st reaction...are you freakin crazy!
Risk vs reward mentioned already ...not worth it.
It comes down to taking responsibility for getting your wood put up early enough.
You already know your burning wood right?...rhetorical!

Even if you have to buy dry seasoned wood for the 1st year which gives you time to start to put up your wood you'll come out way ahead then trying to season wood leaning against your stove.
Back in the 80's there where a gazillion homes that burnt down. The insurance companies asked for a national heating code for wood furnaces and stove which they got.
People got into too many house fires using thewir common sense which did not make sense and as a result burned their homes.
Take a lesson from those other folks that lost their homes.

Clearence to combustibles must be adheared too...period.
Ask you insurance company if they are ok with that.

just dip the wet wood in gas....

I KID

doesn't your manual say three feet from any combustibles? wood is a combustible

Yes, all of the reasons above.

What is the benefit ?
Taking a unseasoned piece of wood and putting it on a hot stove will not season it ? It may dry the surface moisture but putting it in the fire will do the same thing.

I just keep a 48" wood ring about 2 feet from the stove and keep that full of wood. I buy green wood because it's cheaper and after 8-12 hours next to big bertha, the wood burns great.

What will happen is that all the insects you never see will come running out as the log heats up. With less than perfectly seasoned wood I like to place it near the stove for a week or so.

I'm thinking an exceedingly bad idea . . . unless the insurance payments are all up to date . . . and yes, I'm kidding.

NO way I'd ever do that. Even if I was really drunk.

Bad idea. You asked!

Done it plenty of times with no issues. "Gotta make sure you keep an eye on it, and it will be fine". Then one time, it wasn't fine. Came downstairs to a first floor full of smoke, flaming log on top of the stove, and no, the wood wasn't even dry. Still sizzled like a hamburger patty when I put it in the stove. Don't do it. I use a non-combustible fan on top of the stove to move some of the stove heat a bit, and I put my wood rack in the path the air blows, about 48" away from the stove, maintaining clearance to combustibles. The wood dries out in a couple days.

Thanks for your replies, all welcomed, even the more aggressive ones. Bear in mind that this is an informational forum not a platform to make newbies stupid for asking questions. Or at least I thought.

Last year was the first year burning. I put the new "dry" wood under the hearth for a week and then put in the stove one week after resplitting the splits and the wood was dry enough to burn. Near the stove outside of clearances was enough. Not near enough to ignite was good enough. Or bring it inside for a week after splitting and it will dry enough. Caution my friend is always best!

Definately want to keep your wood covered with a Quality tarp outside. It'll stay dry enough to be burnt regardless of rain. You want to burn seasoned wood, more heat for your efforts, you'll get a hotter cleaner burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.