Any old stove burners here?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I used an 1883 parlor stove. Throws awesome (too much) heat. Too many holes for various attachments and trim to be truly airttight even with furnace cement. In a bigger room/house, would have been great, hard to get a good overnight burn though.

Sorry, didn't see "coal' til after I posted.

Well, I'm an ole stove burner, but my stove is new. %-P

You can burn wood in the old coal stove, but it won't be very efficient. However, with some modifications and maybe adding a secondary burn system, you may be able to improve performance. See Peter B. 's posts for his old stove mods.

For part of last year I burned in an old Merrit coal stove made by KS & R. My dad bought it in the late 70's as a secondary stove for the second floor of his house. It has a cast bottom, doors, top and back plate but the sides are pretty thin sheet steel. It heats up really quick but it is very loosely constructed (lots of gaps) so it burned through a lot of wood. I sealed it up pretty well with Rutland cement and made gaskets for the doors. I also had to disable the top loading feature to seal the top. Problem is it has a small basket so I had to cut the wood 14 inches and it wouldn't hold much at a time. I did manage to get it pretty airtight so what wood I did fit in there lasted quite a while. Right now it's sitting in my garage and I'll be using it out there as soon as I gt my garage insulated.

ggans said:
Anyone burn wood in antique coal stoves here? Like cylinder stoves or pot belly..

A couple of years agao, I tried to go 'the other way' - burning hard coal in an old parlor stove meant for wood.

Didn't have much luck, and still not sure exactly why. I gave it a pretty good effort.

--

I honestly think it would be possible to design a stove that burned either fuel equally well, but there aren't many around.

In the end, I confess that I'll likely always prefer wood.

Peter B.

-----

I'm pushing 50 and have burnt in just about every type old steel box.
The big difference between a wood stove and coal stove is where the air enters the fire box.
coal needs air under the fuel Wood need air on top of fuel .
VC vigilant worked good with wood but better with coal . DW had a wood coal stove that burned hot and long .
the multi fuel stove has air vents on the top and bottom open one close the other.
A coal stove full of wood will over fire and burn the wood up fast , its like leaving the ash pan open on a modern stove.
coal in a wood stove wont burn .
Most old stoves where made to burn both wood and coal .
The old pot belly's burned a long time with coal. John

Are you looking for old coal. old coal burners, or old coal burning stoves?
Or all the above? (to which I may qualify)
Burned wood when we couldn't afford coal. mixed coal & wood
I grew up in WV, I know coal stoves, coal bin, coal shovels, coal shoots, lumpy coal, coke, coke ovens, coal trains,
crushed coal, furnaces, stokers, clinkers, cinders, power plants, bone piles, red dog, pot holes, coal trucks, coal mines, strip mines, sulfur creeks & the Smokey Mts.
In AK now, so I can breath.

Status
Not open for further replies.