Any one else behind this year

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xman23

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 7, 2008
Lackawaxen PA
With the early winter cold and snow across the country, I must not be the only one that doesn't have all the ducks in a row. I didn't move this years wood from the main piles to a pile under my side deck. It's about a 50' move. I've been working on it the last two weekends. Lucky we only have 2 inches of snow on the ground and 20 degrees today. Actually feeding the stove from the main pile saves 1 move, but It was a major problem the year we had 4' of snow on the ground all winter.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I'm like the Ant not the Grasshopper when it comes to my firewood stock and stash of primo ready to burn supply.
I can see though if you're busy with little guys and work, it is hard to stay up on it. You're day will come:) We got about
7 or 8 inches here.

I have a good bunch under the back porch, and some more under a tarp as we are just getting our first batch of winter our here with cold temp and a wintery-mix of precip. That said...how much is ever enough?

This is actually the very first year I've had the entire winter supply under roof before winter set in. Even have some of next years in there too. Kinda shocked the wife. !!!

I always try to keep a face cord in the garage, plus a wheel barrow full....my challenge is seasoning....this year might be the best year in the past seven with a good amount of Maple and Ash, and some close to primo Oak at just 2 1/2 years (got a lot of that stuff on hand). As far as the indoor stock and getting to the stacks, snowblower to the recue....

Ill admit that I'm way behind!

I have a wife, 2 small kids, average 54 hours/week at my real job and run a small business on the side. Plus I spent a couple hundred hours fabricating/installing the owb.

I'm fortunate that I have plenty if dead standing timber I can cut today burn today. I don't have enough wood processed at this point to make it through December. I can do a months worth of wood in a day, if I can find a day!

Ill get the processor built in the spring and will hopefully be a year ahead by next winter.

With the early winter cold and snow across the country, I must not be the only one that doesn't have all the ducks in a row. I didn't move this years wood from the main piles to a pile under my side deck. It's about a 50' move. I've been working on it the last two weekends. Lucky we only have 2 inches of snow on the ground and 20 degrees today. Actually feeding the stove from the main pile saves 1 move, but It was a major problem the year we had 4' of snow on the ground all winter.

50' is not much of a move. Think I'd just do a good top cover and leave it for this year. I doubt it is every year you have 4' of snow on the ground all winter but could be wrong!

50' is not much of a move. Think I'd just do a good top cover and leave it for this year. I doubt it is every year you have 4' of snow on the ground all winter but could be wrong!
We are in a snowy location. Anymore, we don't seam to get the snow cover we used to. I did work of the main pile for a few years before setting up the years pile under the deck. I'm not there full time. Keeping a path to the pile open for the wheel barrow is hard because the snow gets frozen.

I'm kind of like you, I keep a cord or two under my deck, which is right outside my basement door. My main pile is also about 50' away and I usually bring a week's worth at a time into the house. The stuff under the deck I try to save for when we get a lot of snow or I get sick during the winter or something like that. However here in Virginia I don't have nearly the snow to contend with that you do!

Status
Not open for further replies.