Any opinions on a stove a friend is selling?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like it might be an original Resolute. If so, this was a decent stove in its day. We had one. How good this one is will depend on the condition. There are some extra moving parts that need to be checked like the bypass mechanism and the thermostatic damper, but if they are in good shape and no warping, then it should be ok.

Yup, thats a Resolute. And not one of the oldest models either. The really old ones had a single drop down door. Those stoves were UL listed if I remember correctly and shouldnt have an issue with insurance as long at it is installed to the stoves specs. Like BG said, if the parts mentioned are all working and there are no cracks, $300 is a hell of a price for that stove. It even has the bottom heat shield and one warming shelf. Nifty.

I am hoping to see the stove in the next few days. I can get it for less than 300 hundred.

A few other questions... I have a small non-epa Drolet stove right now and I am wondering if this VC would be a substantial upgrade in heating capacity and operating quality?

I ask this because I am hoping to upgrade sooner than later anyways but I am hoping to go to the biggest stove I am able to install in the same space as I am currently set up for.

Can this VC be set up as a hearth stove in a fireplace opening? We are also hoping to eventually make our open fireplace into a useful heating appliance at some point and I can convince the wife on this? It will be a long shot even if it could be made to work because she loooooves the large view of the fireplace and a Napoleon 1100 was not going to work for her.

If I can put together the money I may just grab the stove for the "just in case I build a garage/cabin/hunting shack" idea.

Send her over here for dinner next winter. The view of the fire in that big ass glass in in our Englander 30 is better than anything we ever had with an open fireplace. Everybody that comes over in winter says something like that.

And a Resolute can't even compete. Ya can't see the fire in that old sucker. Besides it being inefficient as hell compared to today's stoves.

To answer your questions, the VC will be a better quality stove than the Drolet. If the Drolet is EPA exempt, than you may not see a huge difference in efficiencys either. If the small Drolet has the same capacity as the Enerzone 1.6 (A sister company) then the Resolute will out heat it. The Resolutes also had reversable flue collars to allow a horizontal flue exit that works nice for fireplaces. They were attached with a strange allen key nut assembly and were a little bit of a hassle. But back in the day, we installed a few into fireplaces. Vermont Castings used to make a short leg kit for that stove also.

better than drolet? yes! hearth stove: certainly (many around here are installed in such a manner)... make sure the inside guts are sound, however, or you may have to dump about 500 in parts to get her up to par....

How in the world do you operate a stove where you can't see the fire? That flame (or lack of a flame) tells you everything!!

It becomes intuition after a while. I used to worry at first with the Resolute. But frequent checks to the chimney showed no smoke. The original design was a nice stove. It was easy to operate, even tempered and a good heater.

ControlFreak said:
How in the world do you operate a stove where you can't see the fire? That flame (or lack of a flame) tells you everything!!

I have no problem operating the old Vigilant, which lacks the ability to view the fire. Does viewing the fire make it easier? Yes. Is it needed? No.

BrowningBAR said:
ControlFreak said:

I have no problem operating the old Vigilant, which lacks the ability to view the fire. Does viewing the fire make it easier? Yes. Is it needed? No.

Thermometer helps.

In 1985 when I went shopping for a replacement for my old stove, glass was a requirement. Not many stoves had it then. Gotta see how that thing is burning and not waste wood and heat opening the door to check the fire.

Todd said:
BrowningBAR said:
ControlFreak said:

Thermometer helps.

Kind of figured that was a given.

VC used to supply the stove with a thermometer (SandHill). We still have ours and it still works great. The stove burned so predictably that usually you could just go by time and temperature. We got ours without the glass because we were told by other users that it blackened pretty quickly. I'm not sure if it had any sort of air wash before the glass.

I operate a Woodstock Classic without "seeing the fire" by using the stovetop thermometer! I'm getting better at listening to the changes in the sound produced as the draft and the burn progress, but I still need the thermometer to help me along.

I know what you're saying, though, because we have a Woodstock Fireview in the house and watching the flames gives a good clue as to how the fire in the firebox is progressing.

My point is, there is more than one way to "skin a cat", and seeing the fire isn't the only way to learn how to judge the effectiveness of any single burn.

Indeedy, I do love the view of the fire. And it does help, especially for a quick visual check. I can see the stove window reflected in my glossy Mac monitor in my office. Couldn't do that with the Resolute.

BeGreen said:
I can see the stove window reflected in my glossy Mac monitor in my office. Couldn't do that with the Resolute.

If you did you would know you had a real problem.

Not a bad "looking" stove..........got lots of character! (Even "I" would buy it, for its personality, visually speaking). If it doesn't have any "issues" with the door(s) or gasket(s) (not that you couldn't perhaps fix those things, I suppose) or any other mechanical portion of the stove.

14" Max wood is an issue for me. I'd rather have a stove that took up to 20" splits, personally. Most wood cutters (unless you cut your own) are typically gonna wanna cut you 16 - 18" pieces. (That's not to say of course that there are not wood cutters who WOULD cut what you wanted, in terms of length, but........).

Your choice depends on the square footage and layout of your dwelling place. If you are trying to heat a 2,000 sq. ft. home with that stove, I'd NOT buy it. It's (imho) too small for the application. If, on the other hand, you are just heating a garage, it would be fine; provided you can deal with the 14" fire box max size.

Looks like he has some wood that goes with it......that's a good start, depending on the quality of the wood. He's not got that much wood to "go with it" but any little bit to get you going is alright. In the end, I'd have to know how you are heating your dwelling now. Is this your first wood stove? Have you used a wood stove before? Do you have additional tools and or equipment to make the installation and use a smooth transition for you? Are you going to burn 24/7? What do YOU want to use the stove for.........decoration or actual burning? (That's not an unfair question........my wife bought a Cast Iron Pot Belly Stove, just to stick in the yard!!!!).

I want to take a moment and affirm what others have said in here about "seeing the fire." I have always gauged a fire by the burn itself. I have a neighbor down the street who burns wood every day, and his stove is VERY ornate (cast iron) and I absolutely LOVE the character of the stove, ..........BUT.........it's glass on the front has ironwork mesh behind it, and the panes of glass (4 of them) are 4"x 2.5" and are in a collective. You can't really see anything more than a spit of flame now and again. That just doesn't cut it for me. I'd buy his stove from him and put in the garage perhaps, but not for using. Sure, you can get a "feel" for when to add wood, but I like to SEE what's going on in there.

Our Avalon Rainier 90 is a wonderful choice (of course WE would think that) for functionality, EPA rating, and although less ornate than the one you are looking at, VERY capable of heating a good size dwelling. Made in Oregon (I'm an advocate for keeping our money in domestic production), and sturdy as all get out!

http://www.avalonfirestyles.com/product_guide/wood_stoves.aspx

-Soupy1957

Attachments

• Wood Stove.jpg
    Wood Stove.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 222
Status
Not open for further replies.