Any Pro Stump Grinders Here?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pennsyltucky Chris

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2014
Nockamixon, Pa
Curious as to what you charge per inch. And if you'r taking a stump from 6" high to 6 inches below ground, on a 20 inch diameter stump...... what would you charge? I'm thinking $200.

Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:
have u thought about burning it down?

Have you thought about grinding it down yourself? I have a half-dozen stumps that just won't go away and considering renting a grinder, although the initial quote from the rental place was around $200.

I need to elaborate. It's a freshly cut stump. Oak. I have recently bought a stump grinder to add to my landscaping repertoire. I've read that many tree services grind the first stump at around $150, and each additional stump goes at $3-4 per inch diameter. Due to the fact that it's oak, and fresh, I'm thinking $200 or it's not worth my time, even though it should only take about an hour or so. The woman who wants it ground is about 45 minutes away, so add 90 more minutes to my time. Plus machine costs and gas. Does $200 sound unreasonable?

"Does $200 sound unreasonable?"

yeah, sounds about right for my area... (I'm just a homeowner... not a pro).
Cost me $300 last time I rented a hydraulic grinder. It was a meduim sized gas unit. I did do 3 or 4 stumps and on for the neighbor too.

Reactions: Pennsyltucky Chris
I paid $100 for roughly 36inch diameter silver maple ground down about 8 inches 3 years ago. Although the person doing the grinding also cut the tree down so he was already there.

I did 5 stumps for a homeowner, ranging from about 14 to 22 inches, and I charged $500. It took about 5 hours including cleanup. I figured it was a fair price because only 2 were larger than 16 inches. And I did a 17 inch silver maple that was about an inch high for only $100. I did it for that price because I do his mulching. He was happy about the price. I guess I'll quote at $200 and see what happens. Thanks for your input.

I paid $100 for roughly 36inch diameter silver maple ground down about 8 inches 3 years ago. Although the person doing the grinding also cut the tree down so he was already there.

Yeah, he threw you a bone. How much did he charge to take the tree down? I'm guessing it was a pretty penny.

Yeah, he threw you a bone. How much did he charge to take the tree down? I'm guessing it was a pretty penny.

$675 he was there 8 until about 4pm. Tree required to be trimmed little by little as the main trunk split 4 ways about 15 ft up. It was in the midwest in a area where the cost of living is not as high as other areas.

Reactions: Pennsyltucky Chris
Status
Not open for further replies.