any radiant stoves rated for alcoves ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

devinsdad

Hearth Supporter
Sep 25, 2009
northern NY
I have an alcove with durock spaced 1" off side walls sheet metal spaced 1" on rear wall. From durock to durock it is 5 feet. Can you even get a radiant stove that is alcove approved?

I would think in an alcove, you'd want a stove that radiates frontward. There are several stoves that will work as long as the alcove is at the stovemaker's alcove spec. Examples would be a mid-sized PE, Quadrafire or Napoleon stove. Be sure to watch the ceiling clearance requirement. That's often the gotcha. It's typically a minimum of 7'. Double-wall connector pipe will most likely be required.

Just curious, is this replacing the Kuma or for another location?

Ours is. I think it's what is called a radiant stove, don't have all the terminoligy down pat yet.

Alcove install needs 59" wide(51" protected), 36" stove top to ceiling (18" protected) and max depth front to back is 48".

Sorry, the hyperlink didn't work very well, you will have to copy and paste it into your browser window.

BeGreen said:
Just curious, is this replacing the Kuma or for another location?

I was thinking replacement

If replacing the Kuma, what would be the reason and goal for the new stove? More heat, longer burn times?

I'm looking for a little more heat and worry that when I finish the alcove sides with cultured stone it will eat up even more of the heat. Don't get me wrong - the kuma puts out some awesome heat , even more after we added the blower . The convective shell around the sides and back of the stove (which probably make it more suited for alcove clearances) is ok but when temps start dropping near 0 °F the blower was a necessity . I just worry about really frigid power outages and the blower runs 24/7 @ 30% . I was thinking a more radiant stove would heat better without needing fans in case of outages. Also I'm not sure if I'm burning up to par with the blower on constant. ie cooling stove down too much after peak stove top temp.? Or robbing air as the intake is under the stove in front of blower? Maybe an OAK would help with that? I guess the ideal solution would be to do away with the alcove altogether?

I noticed in my Oslo manual that it lists clearances for an alcove installation. Might be true for most of the Jotul line. The manuals are all on their web site as pdf files.

devinsdad said:
I'm looking for a little more heat and worry that when I finish the alcove sides with cultured stone it will eat up even more of the heat. Don't get me wrong - the kuma puts out some awesome heat , even more after we added the blower . The convective shell around the sides and back of the stove (which probably make it more suited for alcove clearances) is ok but when temps start dropping near 0 °F the blower was a necessity . I just worry about really frigid power outages and the blower runs 24/7 @ 30% . I was thinking a more radiant stove would heat better without needing fans in case of outages. Also I'm not sure if I'm burning up to par with the blower on constant. ie cooling stove down too much after peak stove top temp.? Or robbing air as the intake is under the stove in front of blower? Maybe an OAK would help with that? I guess the ideal solution would be to do away with the alcove altogether?

I wouldn't worry too much about the cultured stone veneer. Seems like the Kuma is a good stove for the location. A radiant stove isn't really going to make a whole lot of difference in that alcove. It'll still need a blower because the issue is mainly heat circulation. If frequent power outages are normal, then back-up power using an inverter or small generator might be more effective. Moving the stove out of the alcove to a central location is an alternative. It'll take a chunk out of the living space, but will help centralize the heat source.

If outages are infrequent and short, then I would just work with what you've got. If they are longer and common, then work on a contingency plan with a generator. Or maybe just close off the bedrooms and camp out in the living room until the power comes back on?

To be an "Alcove" instillation I was under the impression that there was also a lowered "ceiling" in the area. i.e. 60"w x 24"d x 54"h

My stove sits in a bumped out section of the wall, but it meets the requirements for rear and side wall clearances. The inspector wanted "alcove" approved dimensions from testing for my stove, but after going round and round with him and his boss "we" determined that to qualify as an "alcove" the ceiling hight would be less than the rest of the room. I don't know if this helps, but I got to install my stove with the measured clearances (sides and back) met per the instillation guide that came with the stove.

Garett

It depends on the stove manufacturer's documentation, but I think that is 54" over the stove top. Stove makers usually specify the clearance from the top of the stove to the ceiling or by the minimum ceiling height for the alcove. That's usually a 7' ceiling height for the alcove or about 54" higher than the stove top. In our house, the alcove ceiling would be 30" lower than the room ceiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.