Alcove question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tz14

Apr 9, 2024
Nebraska
Finishing my basement in my house , basement ceilings are a little shy of 8 ft. I have a wood stove down there that I would like to install in an alcove so I can mount a tv above it. Non combustible clearances for my stove end up with me needing a 4ft wide 4ft tall box. My question is can I lower the height of the box by leaving the ceiling inside the alcove open ? Entire alcove construction will consist of metal studs and Durock with stone covering. Just looking for insight or ideas on how to pull this off. Thank you

Is this the only way to do the stove? Just saying because stoves work best when air circulates naturally around them and to all the places you want to heat.

What stove is this for?