any reason to insist on 316ti liner instead of regular 316? -complete n00b

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rockreid

May 7, 2008
Stamford, CT
complete n00b to wood burning, but have been doing a lot of research this last week and this website in particular has been most informative. I have decided on either a Avalon Olympic, a Jotul c550 Rockland, or a Lopi Freedom (no bay) for my 2700sf early-1960's colonial near Stamford CT.

My question is whether or not the extra cash is worth it in real-world experience to splurge and get the 316ti liner instead of the regular flex 316. I visited Yankee Doodle north of Wilton yesterday and got an estimate on the Avalon and installation, but I forgot to tell the proprietor I wanted an estimate for the 316ti liner. Also, my chimney seems to be a relatively straight shot down to the firebox, although the damper is only 5" wide (24" lengthways). Is it better to run the hard liner or flex?

You are destined to receive contradicting answers to your question.

Here is my take:
Anything beyond and above 304 material is an overkill.
316 is intended for burning coal, and 316ti adds some extra anti-corrosion protection. Take a look at the relevant codes and see for yourself.

Others may (and likely will) disagree. While I am no expert in wood-burning and such appliances, I do have expertise in metallurgy and welding engineering, as that's what I did for living in my previous life. This is to say that I happen to know a thing or two about steels.

As to the rigid vs. flex - it seems prudent to run a flex through the damper area until the connection with the appliance. Otherwise you would have to solve alignment and fit issues, which is not always easy. Rigid is best above the smoke chamber. If you think you could properly position the insert for a straight shot of rigid - then more power to you, although some grinding and chipping the damper to enlarge the opening would be involved.

Later,
IK

Yeah, what IK said! He's right, 316 is overkill, 316TI even more so. Dont waste your $$$ on the "upgrade". If you have your doubts start a new post asking how many people have ever replaced a liner.

If I had a choice when I did my install I would have used stainless tubing from the smoke shelf up to the top with only a foot or 2 of flexible connector at the stove top.

I agree - if you are going to have concerns, I would have them about thickness and wall smoothness.

It is generally better to run rigid liner than flex, but most places don't even offer that. Even if you use rigid, you can use flex for the last 8 feet or so to do any offset and through the damper.

Status
Not open for further replies.