1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Any recommendation on fireplace cement?

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by 700renegade, Sep 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 700renegade

700renegade Member

Loc:
    NE Wisconsin
    I bought a couple year old Buderus wood boiler and while digging into it, discovered all the existing seal material between the cast iron sections is loose. I went over it with a shop brush and easily brushed out 85% of the cement with little effort.

Can this be resealed with common fireplace cement and if so, what brand or kind should I be looking for?

Any tips to getting this re-sealed properly? I can access the joints easy from the outside. ( Inside would be a bit tough unless the material could be dispensed with a caulk gun or something. Inside top is almost impossible to do much with based on it's design. )

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Gooserider

Gooserider Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Northeastern MA (near Lowell)
    No data on the boilers, but I would expect that Rutland boiler cement, or equivalent would do the job quite nicely. However I would suspect that just smearing cement on the joints, especially from the outside would not give the best results. Would it be possible to take the boiler apart? If so, I would treat it as described in some of the past threads on rebuilding Vermont Castings wood stoves, i.e. take it apart, clean all the joint surfaces with a wire wheel, and glue it back together with fresh cement filling all the seams, and replacing hardware as appropriate...

It might also be worth checking the Buderus site and / or tech support dept. to see if you can get any manuals or service info.

Gooserider
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.