Any recommendation on fireplace cement?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

700renegade

Nov 20, 2008
NE Wisconsin
I bought a couple year old Buderus wood boiler and while digging into it, discovered all the existing seal material between the cast iron sections is loose. I went over it with a shop brush and easily brushed out 85% of the cement with little effort.

Can this be resealed with common fireplace cement and if so, what brand or kind should I be looking for?

Any tips to getting this re-sealed properly? I can access the joints easy from the outside. ( Inside would be a bit tough unless the material could be dispensed with a caulk gun or something. Inside top is almost impossible to do much with based on it's design. )

No data on the boilers, but I would expect that Rutland boiler cement, or equivalent would do the job quite nicely. However I would suspect that just smearing cement on the joints, especially from the outside would not give the best results. Would it be possible to take the boiler apart? If so, I would treat it as described in some of the past threads on rebuilding Vermont Castings wood stoves, i.e. take it apart, clean all the joint surfaces with a wire wheel, and glue it back together with fresh cement filling all the seams, and replacing hardware as appropriate...

It might also be worth checking the Buderus site and / or tech support dept. to see if you can get any manuals or service info.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.