Any scouts out there?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osagebow

Minister of Fire
Jan 29, 2012
Shenandoah Valley, VA
(good idea, dmmoss!)
Took our group to the VA air and space museum last weekend. had a "camp in". They have great science demonstrations, exhibits, and even flight simulators. Kids built rockets and shot them off the next day. Great trip, highly recommend it to any scout leaders within driving range of Hampton, VA.

I personally didn't make it past second class, couldn't swim well enough. I still look like an overweight Labrador in the water.

Eagle Scout 2001 Troop 292 Kalamazoo, MI
OA Vigil Honor 1999 Nacha-Mawat Lodge 373 (no longer in existence)

Reactions: osagebow
We have the Kalamazoo Air Zoo here... do a big scout weekend every couple of years. Camp Outside on the grounds, museum, neat exhibits, simulators, and actual plane flights (it's adjacent to the airport) Fun weekend.

Took our group to the VA air and space museum... Hampton, VA.

I made it to first class but when my dad gave up the scoutmaster position ( too many irons in the fire with 6 kids) I quit too.

I have been to the air and space museum though; On Mercury Blvd I believe. Back in the 80's I used to follow The Grateful Dead up and down the east coast. They came to the Hampton Coliseum every March for 3 days I was there every year from '82 through '89. One year I was driving around in the morning and saw the museum and just had to stop in. Really cool place. I love everything space.

Same here, life was as far as I got. I went from boy scouts to an explorer post.

5 years as a Cub Scout leader and 5 years assisting my sons Boy Scout troop.
Older son Life working on his Eagle, is SPL and in OA, younger son Second Class working on First Class, missing a survival campout this weekend recovering from pneumonia.

Lost of changes and consolidation here in Michigan at the council level and with OA lodges. Kinda sad.

Yes the new Michigan setup is taking some getting used to for sure!

Tiger cubs all the way through becoming an assistant scoutmaster when I turned 18. I only made it to Star, mostly because I was lazy the first couple years and then ran into the waiting periods. Wish I had worked harder and made eagle and OoA. I was an instructor at our council JLTC camp as well.

Looking forward to my son being old enough to join cubs.

I became an Eagle Scout in 1999. Great experience.

I hope my boys get involved if they are interested, but I'm not so sure about Tiger cubs. Might wait until they are a bit older.

pen

I was in Awana . . . it was like Boy Scouts . . . only instead of learning how to tie knots I memorized a whole lot of bible verses and instead of doing cool things like camping and making fires we played a lot of games and listened to a sermon. :(

I was in Awana . . . it was like Boy Scouts . . . only instead of learning how to tie knots I memorized a whole lot of bible verses and instead of doing cool things like camping and making fires we played a lot of games and listened to a sermon. :(
Nothing wrong with that. I'm sure it all has served you well.

Cubs, then Scouts (Life), then Sea Explorers...Quartermaster, if anyone knows what that is.

Cubs, then Scouts (Life), then Sea Explorers...Quartermaster, if anyone knows what that is.

One of the older kids sent me to you for a can of plaid paint, Mr. Quartermaster....

It's right next to the left handed screwdriver

Last edited:
I never made it to Boy Scouts. I got thrown out of Cub Scouts for fighting in uniform. Twice. Hard to hide the dirt from the fights on that dark blue uniform. ;em

That's right about the Sea Scout thing... not to be confused with the boy scout youth leadership position. We don't have too much active sea scouting around here... seems like we could do a lot with the great lakes.

I was in Scouts for awhile. My parents made me quit when they found out some of the kids were drinking wine and smoking herb on camping trips.

Became an Eagle Scout in 1964. My grandson is in Cub Scouts and I go camping with him. Got my Polar Bear, 2012 camping patch to go with my 1961 Winter Zero Camper patch. I was ecstatic! ;)

I became an Eagle Scout in 1999. Great experience.

I hope my boys get involved if they are interested, but I'm not so sure about Tiger cubs. Might wait until they are a bit older.

pen
1999, Holy crap Pen, I thought you were closer to my age. Guess not! 99, 64, :confused:

1999, Holy crap Pen, I thought you were closer to my age. Guess not! 99, 64, :confused:

I'm afraid your Buck Stove and I went into service the same year.

Status
Not open for further replies.