Any Split Fire woodsplitter owners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

charly

Looking to get a splitter that will do 28 inch pieces of wood. Measured my Paxo 60 fire box, and they'll fit no problem. I have a SuperSplit that will do 24's , so that will probably go up for sale. I see Split Fire offers a 30 inch model. Just didn't want to buy something and be disappointed. Anyone split with a longer splitter and what brand?

I have used both splitters .
Even with a 30 " splitter it take much longer to split 30 " wood .
A log 24 " long will split in 8 "of ram travel .
The 30" log will need 16" of travel to split the wood and handling the rounds will be much harder .
Your SS is faster then the SF.
I even gave up splitting 24" rounds because its much harder then 20/ 21" rounds.
I think a timber wolf with a 4 or 6 way wedge is really the only splitter for long rounds . John

OK, Thanks John. I'm also going to look at American Log Splitters. Family owned for thirty years, as I was told. Seem like good people..Charlie ;-)

xclimber,

I have been looking to buy a decent used splitter. If you do decide to sell your SS, would you keep me in mind? I'd like the oportunity to buy yours. I live near Sayre, Pa, so, it wouldn't be too far of a drive for me. My dad has had his SS since 1978, but, he lives too far away for me to borrow his easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.