Any suggestions on heating my home?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MacKay

Hearth Supporter
Jan 21, 2008
SW. Pennsylvania
Currently I have an oil forced air furnace. I added quite a bit on blown in insulation to the attic this past fall. We went from a R-19 to a R-48.

I am planning to switch out the air conditioning unit for a heat pump this summer or fall.

I also am considering the following projects.
An efficient wood burning insert in the fireplace (Jotul Kennebec or Rockland)
Or pellet stoves in both the living room (cathedral ceiling) and finished basement. For both these locations I think it is a benefit not to have to run a chimney and was key in thinking of a pellet stove.
Additionally the "porch" off the family room is now open to the rest of the house, I framed and insulated it.

Any thoughts on these plans?

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 388
To start with, I would take a good hard look at YOU! Do you like messing with wood? Are you home or away? Do you have storage? How much work are you looking to put into heating your home? Do you like to turn a dial, or move a lever? Is this supplemental or full time?

Pellets are made, they have more of a tendency to follow other fuel prices. Wood is typically a more "local" source, but more work as well. Lots of things to consider, and its not a one answer fits all solution. You will get lots of opinions here (all valid of course), but it really comes down to you. Have you had any prior experience with either choices?

Both choices come with positives as well as drawbacks. Both require a committed and well informed operator (require might be a little strong, but I would recommend it).

Good work on the insulation. That's money in the bank (probably even better). My first thought after seeing the plans is that this is going to be a tough one to heat evenly. The stove will be on the end of the floor and there are lots of small doorways instead of open passages for good airflow. It could be that the Rockland will be too big as an area heater here.

I don't think you could get an even heat like BeGreen said. My insert is in the middle of the home and it still is cooler in the bedrooms. If only the home could be zoned!!! I think you will help with the heating bill but to eliminate it would be too optimistic. You will live much more comfortably in the living room and adjacent room with a heater!!!

Jags said:
...You will get lots of opinions here (all valid of course)...

Well, some of mine have no particular validity. :lol: Rick

DMM good luck with your remodeling project...wood heat is nice and an efficient cost alternative but if I were done there where you live I'd give coal some more thought. Coal takes a certain knowledge but it's a lot less hassle.

Gee, Rick, did you just get "promoted" to "Master of Fire"? I don't know where the various thresholds are, and note you now show 555 posts. Seems to me like I noted you were "Fie Honor Society", last time I made any note.

Anyway, as a "Master of Fire" we consider all your inputs to be valid.

Jerry_NJ said:
...Anyway, as a "Master of Fire" we consider all your inputs to be valid.

Wasn't paying any attention, Jerry, and I don't know what the "promotion" cutoffs are, either. Guess I'd better clean up my act a bit, eh? :eek:hh: Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.