1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

any suggestions on how to replace bricks on an allnighter?

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by woodmeister, Dec 18, 2011.

1. woodmeister

woodmeister New Member

Loc:
    lower ct. river
    My neighbor has a mid or big moe and he's looking to replace the bricks. Anyone have any experience wirh that?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    Are the bricks an odd size? If they are a standard size just clean the stove out really well w/ a shop vac and take a pic of how they are arranged to help putting the new ones in.

If you can't get whatever size is in there, just have yourself a masonry blade on hand in a circ saw (I use an old one) and they cut pretty easily.

If you take your time w/ a stone chisel, they don't split too badly either.

pen
  3. rwhite

rwhite Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Idaho
    If using a saw to cut you can soak the bricks for 1/2 hr or so in water. When you cut there won't be any dust and the blade won't overheat.
  4. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    Great idea. Never heard / thought of that one.

Thanks

pen
  5. coaly

coaly Fisher Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    NE PA
    One or two you can hammer and chisel. More than that, I use an air chisel or hammer drill. The exhaust from the air chisel really stirs up the dust / ash packed between them. Next time I'll wet it down, and remove the mud. Anything beats the taste of brick mouth.