Any Supreme Vision owners or installers?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tgillespie

Nov 4, 2019
Colorado
We have a sun room that opens into the living room. The wife asked for a wood stove to separate the two and give the sun room a little kick in the winter. Looks like the only double sided stove is the Supreme Vision. Anyone have comments on it? Never seen a stainless stove.

Don't need it as a primary heater, but more visual with some extra BTUs when its really chilly out.

I’ll give you a brief hearsay report as I was just talking by phone with someone who owns one. He heats his off-grid home in north Texas entirely with a Supreme Vision. (I don’t know how large the home is.). He says the large firebox capacity makes for easy overnight burns. He’s a stove professional, and it’s what he chose for himself.

That’s all I’ve got for you as I don’t have any personal knowledge or experience.

I’ll give you a brief hearsay report as I was just talking by phone with someone who owns one. He heats his off-grid home in north Texas entirely with a Supreme Vision. (I don’t know how large the home is.). He says the large firebox capacity makes for easy overnight burns. He’s a stove professional, and it’s what he chose for himself.

That’s all I’ve got for you as I don’t have any personal knowledge or experience.
Appreciate it. Quite surprised about the overnight burns.

Hello folks. I have had one of these puppies for a couple of years now. Unfortunately I thought it was the "Duet" model but it is indeed
the "Vision" model but they are essentially the same stoves. I wrote a review on it under Supreme Duet so you can find it there.
I am easily heating the main floor = 1400 sq feet including a cathedral living room so when you get the burn right it really delivers and you CANNOT beat the ambiance. It also has great efficiency which they achieved by careful design of the updraft. But... BUT...

There was a point where I was going to throw this thing into the lake but I couldn't lift it. First and foremost there is a serious updraft problem with this stove that causes lots of smoke. Company says you can't load it until it dies down to embers = BS. If the fire is going good you can chuck a log on quick and close the door and it is jiggy. But if it is not going hard then you will get smoke if you open the door more than a crack. Worse if you don't get the fire going hard on a cold start you are screwed because your house will fill with smoke while you try to restart (or you can wait an hour or two for any smoldering to die off = not good on below zero mornings that are not uncommon in these parts). The smoking has nearly ended my relationship with the significant other. This is not my first rodeo as I have had a Garrison and a Vermont castings and NEVER had this sort of problem and I bristle at the offhand remarks of others like "oh you are just not using good wood" (2 years) or "don't know what you are doing" (see above) or "your installation is questionable" (my pipe is 15' straight up)... It is refreshing (or perhaps saddening) to find that I am not the only one.

The grill thing is also a BS come-on unless one side is outdoors but as others have remarked - just use your normal grill and be done with it since you can't control the cooking heat etc. Given the smoking issues above, I wouldn't dare try this indoors. I don't use the fans because I have an open area so I can't comment on those installations that are piping heat somewhere else. I can say however that the fans are very loud full on so It will only really work if you are encasing this stove in the wall with duct work and if you do consider sound insulation. There are some other drawbacks that I cover in my review.

Other than that Mrs Lincoln how was the play?

Now that I got that out of the way I have since learned a bag of tricks for how to JO this unit and after A LOT of swearing we have since come to an understanding. I figured out how to get it going fast and hard with odorless mineral spirits and cardboard saving me several hundred bucks a year on fire starters and now I can get her into the red zone in 10 minutes (even with some less than seasoned wood). I have also figured out a configuration for getting "maybe" a 6 hour burn out of it to where I have enough coals to reload early morning.
So these things "can" be done but it requires techniques that most stoves don't.

In short it's like being married to a beautiful woman. If you want the beauty you have to put up with the vanity.

Reactions: EbS-P