Any thoughts on St. Croix Greenfield

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogieb

Minister of Fire
Oct 31, 2014
South Central NH
I have a chance to pick up a barely used Greenfield for 1500. They say there is nothing wrong with it, they just want to go with something bigger. I'm going to look at it tonight (won't pick it up until tomorrow if it is good), but thought if anyone had any input or things to watch for on this stove, that would be helpful.

I have been looking for a stove to heat the upstairs (950/sf) as the one in the basement can't quite keep up (at least to my warmth-loving satisfaction). I've never used a stove that is manual light, but they say it is easy (that is one thing they will demo tonight).

Thanks for any thoughts you can share!

I can't address the Greenfield specifically, but my Afton Bay is fantastic. It is well designed and easy to maintain - just make sure the ash traps are kept clear.

Manual lighting is indeed easy, and you can use hand sanitizer instead of expensive gels.

There are videos on YouTube and St Croix's site for more info.

wet pellets with starting jell or even alcohol drop in pot toss in a match. Set switches in the right position and it should go. It is a great stove for corn or pellets but is a manuel dump and if you are lucky you won't have to relight after dumping. You are supposed top off the clnker with fresh pellets then when they are burning push in the top rod to separate the fire from the clinker. Then pull the bottom one open which should drop the clinker into the ash area. Then close the bottom rod and open the top one so the fire drops to the bottom. It sounds easy but it doesn't always work as easy as it is described. Basically the Greenfield is a cast iron version of the Auburn or Lancaster. They all use the same pot and are rated at 40,000 btu.
Manual start and manual dump means a lot less to go wrong. 1500 seems like a lot to me.
I can buy a Harman PC that works perfect has a hopper extension and extra ash bucket plus some extra parts for 1500. I know the people and they are moving to a apartment so have no use for it. Problem is the cost for freight but I have the pallet that the stove was bolted to so that part wouldn't be bad. The Harman is a big step up as far as convenience as it is auto ignition and basically self cleaning in that with decent pellets you can burn close to a ton of good pellets before cleaning.

wet pellets with starting jell or even alcohol drop in pot toss in a match. Set switches in the right position and it should go. It is a great stove for corn or pellets but is a manuel dump and if you are lucky you won't have to relight after dumping. You are supposed top off the clnker with fresh pellets then when they are burning push in the top rod to separate the fire from the clinker. Then pull the bottom one open which should drop the clinker into the ash area. Then close the bottom rod and open the top one so the fire drops to the bottom. It sounds easy but it doesn't always work as easy as it is described. Basically the Greenfield is a cast iron version of the Auburn or Lancaster. They all use the same pot and are rated at 40,000 btu.
Manual start and manual dump means a lot less to go wrong. 1500 seems like a lot to me.
I can buy a Harman PC that works perfect has a hopper extension and extra ash bucket plus some extra parts for 1500. I know the people and they are moving to a apartment so have no use for it. Problem is the cost for freight but I have the pallet that the stove was bolted to so that part wouldn't be bad. The Harman is a big step up as far as convenience as it is auto ignition and basically self cleaning in that with decent pellets you can burn close to a ton of good pellets before cleaning.

You are just plain lucky to get Harman's that cheap. Around here, a used one goes for 2500 min - without any add ons. Heck, a Home Depot cheapy goes for dang near 1k after it has been used for years. I have a Harman in the basement and love it, but can't justify the price to heat the small area upstairs.

Hmm, what do you think freight would run. Which Harman is it? It has to go in a small space (otherwise I could move my 61A upstairs)

Gotta either commit to this deal tonight or miss out and keep looking.

Oh, if it the PC45, that 29.5" front to back is the killer. It would stick several inches into the doorway between the kitchen & living room.

Its the PC45.
Freight - I'm not sure how it worked but I sold a Bixby to a person in Leominster Mass. a couple of years ago and it only cost her 260.00 from Minneapolis, Minn to her worksite. She had a place that put it out on bids as I remember.

Oh, if it the PC45, that 29.5" front to back is the killer. It would stick several inches into the doorway between the kitchen & living room.
The hopper added to the rear of the stove makes it stick out a bit, add on the exhaust it's a sizable front.

Status
Not open for further replies.