Any tricks for finding the leak in my exhaust?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

haff99

Jan 15, 2015
pennsylvania
Very minor issue and I know I caused this lol. I cleaned my lopi agp insert which included disconnecting the flue and also removing the gasket/covers on the exhaust fan. So now when when my insert starts up I can smell a bit of smoke for about 5 minutes when the pellets ignite and they are a bit smokey. AFter a few minutes the smoke is gone and the smell dissipates and you can't smell anything else. It isn't bad at all but more of a slight annoyance since I can't find the leak.

So it is either the quick connect lid that the flue is connected to(this insert has a latch and lid so you don't have to remove any connections to the flue). This lid has a big thick gasket and it looks like it is on there OK and the lid is latched on correctly. the exhaust fan has 2 gaskets and covers to get to the exhaust fan. I also added some high temp caulk to the 3 to 4 inch connector the flue connects to so I don't think thats it. It is either the flue connection gasket or the exhaust fan gaskets that I removed. i tried twice already disconnecting and reconnecting the flue and exhaust fan gaskets with no luck. The smoke is definitely coming from the exhaust as you can smell it coming from behind the stove, so it isn't coming through the door gasket or anything.

The problem is this is an insert so it is sort of hard to stick my head behind the stove and see clearly. I tried my best on startup but can't see anything and it isn't a ton of smoke, just a slight amount so the leak isn't big at all. I am wondering if there are any tricks or anything else I can do to find this leak. I should note the gaskets look perfect and shouldn't need to be replaced.

If you can see back there at all a fine beam flash light in the dark during startup might work.. lazer pointer worked for me.

Reactions: Shane1
Go to your wood stove store and buy some smoke pellets. This way you can check for leaks without starting your stove

Go to your wood stove store and buy some smoke pellets. This way you can check for leaks without starting your stove

Would this work with a pellet stove? No combustion motor no pressure and all. Would the smoke still find its way out?

If you want more smoke you can collect about 1/4 cup of fines and dump them in the fire on startup or turn some pellets back into sawdust with water to do the same thing. You'll have some big, lazy, smokey flames to help find your leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.