1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Any used a coleman camp grill?

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by jtp10181, Jul 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtp10181

jtp10181 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Madison, WI

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Gooserider

Gooserider Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Northeastern MA (near Lowell)
    Haven't used one, I've always been a white gas camper, but you are probably right about it being slower. I'd imagine that they are probably figuring on swapping the cooking time for increased portability. If you have the space, it might be possible to make a lid using some sort of sheet metal box, but I'm not promising...

Gooserider
  3. Metal

Metal Minister of Fire

I bought the same thing last Summer and returned it when I realized the lid was actually just a windblock. I know they are more expensive, but the Weber Q is a good little propane grill and you can get a stand for it so you can use it at home or camping.
  4. jtp10181

Loc:
    Madison, WI
    I found the Coleman Roadmate on thier webpage and that thing looks awesome but its $220! Its a skillet / grill / stove all in one with a stand. I just bought a coleman LP skillet and this camp grill. We are going camping in a few weeks and I already test fired both of them and ran the grill (just the grate part) through the dishwaser to clean it. I will give it a shot and if its junk I bet I can make a good argument to return it. I like how compact it is so I hope it works well enough to keep.

RaodTrip: http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=9941-768&categoryid=2010

That Webber Q does look pretty slick: http://www.weber.com/q/
  5. Czech

Czech Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Twin Cities, MN
    I owe one and have never used it as a 'grill'. It's a stove top and nothing more, use it to make coffee, fry bacon, that kind of stuff. It has a niche when camping, esp when you don't want to start a fire or bbq, the coleman gets hot quick. The big chunks of meat go on a typical charcoal bbq or the fire, weber is always a durable choice for a grill IMHO.
  6. jtp10181

Loc:
    Madison, WI
    Well I will be trying it as a grill... hot dogs, burgers, maybe some steaks. We will see if it can handle it.
  7. jtp10181

Loc:
    Madison, WI
    It actually worked pretty good. It was even able to cook the steaks without much trouble. I used it for brats, hot dogs, sausage, bacon, steaks, corn.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.