Any way to tell if pex has oxygen barrier?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kuribo

Feeling the Heat
Dec 10, 2007
SW WI
I have some pex I bought about 7 years ago. It is red with no printing on it. I would like to know if it has an oxygen barrier or not-any way to tell????

If you can't tell the manufactuer then check for a layer of foil laminated in between two layers. That would be pex-al-pex and is an excellent barrier pipe. Other than that I'd guess it isn't but it could be.

It often has a shiny gloss to it, compared to non barrier. Rub it together and it will squeak. If you heat it with a match or torch carefully you may see that EVOH layer start to de-laminate from the tube.

Some of the manufacturers are adding an additional layer over the EVOH to help protect from sunlight, and jobsite abuse.

If it does not say barrier pex, Look for the listing number printed on the tube.

hr

I'm not a pro, but my understanding is that the red stuff is non-barrier domestic - the kind that comes in red for hot supply and blue for cold.

yeah, I have a feeling it is non-barrier. It was used in my basement floor. I guess it will be ok to use as long as I isolate it via a heat exchanger in my pressurized storage set up.....maybe they make circulators with non-ferrous impellers???

My thermopex is red and has a barrior. the actual pipe is pink with a red coating on the outside.

kuribo said:
yeah, I have a feeling it is non-barrier. It was used in my basement floor. I guess it will be ok to use as long as I isolate it via a heat exchanger in my pressurized storage set up.....maybe they make circulators with non-ferrous impellers???
Yes, you can get circs with bronze impellers.

thanks, guess I will have to look into that.....stupid mistake putting in all that pex without an o2 barrier....

Status
Not open for further replies.