1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Anybody burn whole logs?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by leftyscott, Apr 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan

Methinks there is some fibbing going on here. Fess up to it now. You've experience it besides hearing that song...

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. bambam

bambam Member

Loc:
    south/central Pa
    Hydraulic powered splitter = smaller splits
    Hand powered splitting = larger splits or rounds
  3. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Not for me. I use my hydraulic to split for stacking. When I need some smaller splits, or some kindling, I pull splits from the stack and use hand tools. Works for me. Rick
  4. DBoon

DBoon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central NY
    Same for me on the hydraulic splitter - getting the big rounds down to quarters or the smaller rounds down to halves, then after they are dried, it is almost as easy to just split smaller as you need it - provided it isn't elm, sycamore, etc.
  5. CowboyAndy

CowboyAndy New Member

Loc:
    Chateaugay, NY
    We are starting to dip into our row of branches and small rounds, and I have found that a 4" round that has been out there longer than some 6" splits are less seasoned. it sucks.
  6. JotulOwner

JotulOwner Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Long Island, New York
    Last year I went to a firewood dealer that had piles of whole trees they were cutting and splitting for immediate sale. The trees were cut down many years ago when some of the 40 acres they had nearby was cleared. I took a car trunk load to try it out before committing to a larger amount. Boy, was I glad I didn't take more because it never seasoned. I suppose that 16 inch unsplit rounds will season in a reasonable amount of time, but I have to believe that splitting and debarking whenever possible is the best way to go when it comes to drying. I also like to make smaller splits. I know that shortens the burn time, but it works for me since I don't burn 24/7 and I don't even load the stove most of the time.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.