Anybody find a wood they wouldn't burn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything that burns here comes from cleaning up my property. With the luxury of picking and choosing though I wouldn't bother with cottonwood. Burns fine but leaves behind large volumes of fluffy ash which is an issue with a shallow insert firebox that needs to be cleaned every other day as it is.

Are you sure you are not talking about Aspen, AKA, Poplar, popple?

Tulip Poplar, gets a flower on them that looks somewhat like a tulip.

Like I said, have had some real weird weather the last decade or a little better. The ones I keep cutting up comes from the area of the woods that seems to be under water about every other year.

My sister loves Black Locust but she buys, she doesnt process. My brother had some on his property he tried to sell as logs. He couldnt get any takers so he cut them up. Said the wood caused the chainsaw to spark.
I read that locust encapsulates silica in its lower cells on the tree which causes the saws to spark. I also overfired my woodstove once with a load of black locust.
So now I dont bother with it at all.

I cut a locust last year that sparked like crazy on my bar. I made sure my oiler was working. I thought maybe somebody put a nail or somthing in it but when i got thru there was nothing. awfull chain dulling experience.

I'll only burn maple ,ash, beech , cherry , hop hornbeam, iron wood (blue beech). No need to mess with poplar, tulip, willow or any pine . I have 175 acres of hardwoods so , no need to waste my time on iffy wood. Also anything that's crotchy, gnarly, tough to split or dangerous to get out , gets left behind. With my equipment and all my logging roads , I can be picky.

Reactions: mlappin
I'll only burn maple ,ash, beech , cherry , hop hornbeam, iron wood (blue beech). No need to mess with poplar, tulip, willow or any pine . I have 175 acres of hardwoods so , no need to waste my time on iffy wood. Also anything that's crotchy, gnarly, tough to split or dangerous to get out , gets left behind. With my equipment and all my logging roads , I can be picky.

Not such luxury for us scroungers. I will say, that I would rather leave crotchy/knotty pieces than to leave nice straight grained wood like pine.

Of course, I know from experience that it's not gonna make my house blow up ;lol

Well that's pleasant.......glad we don't have scenternet

Status
Not open for further replies.