1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Anybody know where the "stupid" forum is? (pics)

Post in 'The Gear' started by SmokeyCity, Nov 28, 2012.

1. amateur cutter

amateur cutter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Michigan
    Safety gear/PPE is way cheaper than even a few stitches. Just the misery from saw chips in the eyes is enough to ruin a nice day cutting. It's not a matter of if, but when it will happen to anyone. Rookie to pro a saw does not discriminate, they will hurt you bad. So glad your injury is minor. Please take your lesson to heart. A C
    OldLumberKid, jeff_t and Tramontana like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

If you take a look at the guys that cut the most wood on this forum, I think you'll notice that most, if not all of them have something in common. Boots (steel toes at least), gloves, chaps, and helmets. Not to mention eyes and ears. All the time.
    osagebow likes this.
  3. MrWhoopee

MrWhoopee Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shingletown, Northern California (elev. 4000 ft.)
    I had my close call 2 years ago, tore my jeans, no flesh. One of my friends just did it 2 weeks ago, cut his jeans but not his thermals. We both wear our chaps now.
  4. deck2

deck2 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Adirondack Foothills, NY
    Have a buddy that owns a Husqvarna shop, when I first started heating with and cutting firewood I stopped in and picked up some chains and some oil for my saws and his arm was all wrapped up. He told me that he dropped a saw he was working on (it was not running) and hit the chain with his forearm trying to catch it which caused him to need several stiches. So i picked up a set of chaps that day--figuared that if a non running chain could do that to his arm what would a running chain do to my leg.

Also have learned to use the chain break when walking around between cuts, Old timer that I cut with looks at me funny everytime I have to pull back the break when I have to make a cut. Waiting for him to tell me that I will wear out the break. LOL :rolleyes:

Chaps are cheaper than my ER copay so I consider them a cheap investment, not to metion how hard it would be to cut wood with only one of my legs _g
    osagebow likes this.
  5. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Three hours in the emergency room 20 years ago after getting a good look at the bone in my left leg just above the knee made a believer out of me. Paying a bunch of bucks for a fancy chainsaw and then not paying the chump change for chaps and using them is just plain dumb. They ain't optional.
  6. osagebow

osagebow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shenandoah Valley, VA

Need to get me a pair - even though "osage leg" has a cool ring to it...
    ailanthus and albert1029 like this.
  7. Leadfoot

Leadfoot Member

Loc:
    S.E. Oklahoma
    Ouch! I've had some close calls when I start getting tired. Now I put the saw down rest and get a drink.

My cousin worked in the log woods his whole life cutting and hauling to the mill. One day he had a kickback, the saw got him all the way from bottom jaw to just below the eye.
  8. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana

Was he running one handed?
  9. Leadfoot

Leadfoot Member

Loc:
    S.E. Oklahoma
  10. SmokeyCity

SmokeyCity Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Western Pa
    As soon as all my safety gear arrives I'll post a few action pics with the chaps, gloves, boots and glasses.

albert1029, MasterMech, Nixon and 2 others like this.
  11. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
  12. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    Glad the damage was minor. When I get the funny looks with all my PPE on, I just explain that it would be really tough for me to get through a day at work with one less leg.
  13. dorkweed

dorkweed Guest

While you have the camera out; post a couple pix of the "upgrades" you did to your 13NC hearth and flue!!!:oops:
    pen likes this.
  14. SmokeyCity

Loc:
    Western Pa
    I was gonna wait till everything was right. Ill post them in a bout an hour when the batteries charge. Drained 'em this evening taking so many flash shots of my pile.

15. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

Attached Files:

albert1029 likes this.
  16. SmokeyCity

Loc:
    Western Pa
    Before everyone piles on, understand that I KNOW I have a lot to do here yet. Iv'e gotta cover that baseboard behind, re-install the correct clean out door and put up my heat shields. Whn the brick layer covers the baseboard behind we can make a real pedestal at that time.

I have just today ordered CHAPS, GLOVES, HELMET and BOOTS plus a few other things online based on specific products used and recommended by members here.

That $500 in one day just for safety - so - give me time to find someone to lay the brick etc.

22 ga. 3 screws,, everything seated as deeply as possible.

CinderPedestal.jpg
    22G.jpg
    90deg.JPG
    albert1029 and smokinj like this.
  17. dorkweed

dorkweed Guest

Is the paper on the baked beans can considered a "combustible"???;?
    ailanthus and smokinj like this.
  18. Halligan

Halligan Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southeastern Massachusetts
    In my line of work (Firefighter/EMT) I've seen the gruesome damage a saw without a conscious can do. That goes for chain saws, table saws, circular saws and the like. I once had one guy cut his finger clean off with an industrial circular in a lumber yard. Upon arrival on scene I asked the patient who was clutching his hand in a rag if he knew where the finger was. He said "yeah in my pocket" and bent toward me slightly. I reached in his shirt pocket and pulled out his finger. He walked to the ambulance under his own power and I carried his finger. Bottom line keep focused and use PPE when applicaple.
    albert1029 and OldLumberKid like this.
  19. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    Safety gear is one thing, and a good thing, but common sense and awareness is essential. While working in the wood shop with table saw, jointer, planner, what ever-
    -The rule is know where your hands are, using a chain saw is a little different you should know where the tip of your bar is, and where your body parts are in relation to where the saw is, and where it might go, and anticipate where the stress is, on the wood ,don't get in a big hurry, think about your next move, if you're getting tired take five, or quit for the day.
    IMO
  20. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Only if you get the can over 470::F. Trust me, other bad things will happen long before that paper spontaneously ignites.
  21. jlightning

jlightning Member

Loc:
    Southeast PA
    I dont wear much protective wear, just stihl glasses, heavy hunting boots, and ear plugs. Im considering either chaps or pants but am not sure which would be better? It seems like most of you go with the chaps...is there a reason?
  22. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Much more readily available but I would be interested in finding some "summer" pants myself.
  23. TreePointer

TreePointer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western PA
    I like chaps because I can take them off quickly when I take a break. Either one is better than nothing.
  24. SmokeyCity

Loc:
    Western Pa
    more of an edible - I put it there to keep it warm while I eat it while doing computer work. The stove is not very hot at this point (see therm) .
  25. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA

You got it.I started using power tools & hand tools in Junior High Industrial Arts/Cabinetmaking at age 14,chain saws at 15 & I felled my first tree with supervision at 17.Over 30 years ago. None of the chain saws I started with had chain brakes,I had it instilled into me at every instance 'ALWAYS know where the bar is at every minute' Sure the saws back then werent as high-revving as ones made today,but that didnt mean they werent dangerous & not deserving your respect & fully undivided attention.

NO job is so important that you have to 'rush' to finish it or in any other way do things that jeopardize your personal safety or those working around/near you.I had a minor accident with bandsaw & my left thumb 18 yrs ago & that made me stop & think.Learned a valuable lesson that day,could've been much worse.

Safety is the main concern,use common sense,dont work when you're tired.Take a break,get some water,coffee or a soda.
    albert1029 likes this.