Anybody operate Kozy Heat Z42 CD with doors open? give me some input

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hedkase311

Dec 1, 2010
Long Island NY
I recently installed a Kozy Heat Z42 CD EPA fireplace and I love it, however the manual does not reccommend operating the unit with the doors open, does anyone have any input or experience operating the Z42 CD with the doors open and if so what type of firescreen would you use or reccommend...thanks.

Welcome to the forum, Kozy Heat.

Why would you want to operate that unit with the doors open? You spent good money on a high efficient wood burning fireplace, opening the doors will send the heat right up the chimney, and suck out any heat that is in the house. You might overfire the unit because you will not be able to control the amount of air going though the unit. What is it that you are wanting to gain by burning with the doors open?

If the manual does not recommend it, then that would be a sign that it should not be done, as the warrenty will be void if you do.

I love the heat output, and I will operate it the majority of the time with the doors closed, however if I just wanted to have a fire without the heat output...what are my options if any?

Status
Not open for further replies.