Anybody using a Stihl 260 pro?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My 026 just doesn't cut it. I wonder if there is something wrong with it. My 034 is twice the saw and only 1/2 horse more. It has no zip,takes a long time to get to full rpm's, has little torque and stalls after a minute of idling. Don't
matter how I adjust the carb, it's always been this way a year after I bought it. Many times I wanted to trade it for a 346xp or a Dolmar 5100 but I'd loose 400 bucks so I grab the 034 almost always. My 06 is good for limbs and that's about it, no more than 6" dia.

ihookem said:
My 026 just doesn't cut it. I wonder if there is something wrong with it. My 034 is twice the saw and only 1/2 horse more. It has no zip,takes a long time to get to full rpm's, has little torque and stalls after a minute of idling. Don't
matter how I adjust the carb, it's always been this way a year after I bought it. Many times I wanted to trade it for a 346xp or a Dolmar 5100 but I'd loose 400 bucks so I grab the 034 almost always. My 06 is good for limbs and that's about it, no more than 6" dia.

Wonder if it is down on compression. If you have a good dealer close by, many will throw it on a gauge for a minimal charge. Anything under 140 and you need a rebuild or at least new rings. The 026 has about .3 more horsepower than the new 260's because of the exhaust size and should definitely handle more than 6" limbs. My 260 really rips for a 50cc saw.

What size bar and chain are you running? I have found my 260 likes a 16" and .325 chain.

HittinSteel said:
ihookem said:

Wonder if it is down on compression. If you have a good dealer close by, many will throw it on a gauge for a minimal charge. Anything under 140 and you need a rebuild or at least new rings. The 026 has about .3 more horsepower than the new 260's because of the exhaust size and should definitely handle more than 6" limbs. My 260 really rips for a 50cc saw.

What size bar and chain are you running? I have found my 260 likes a 16" and .325 chain.

I will second that one I have tried a 3/8 like a lot of dealers around here sold on these saws but this saw is way more happy with a .325 and a 16 inch bar . I do kinda chuckel when I see aguy with one of thes running a 3/8 and a 20 inch bar . This saw in my opinion isnt made for this .

Adios Pantalones said:
I recently discovered that my spark plug was loose. Oops! Tightened it up with a scrench and the few issues the saw had running went away. I figured it was my own damn fault and it was.

Sure hope you didnt hurt the saw . I think running with a loose spark plug causes a lean running condition and can do some nasty damage . Hope you goy it just in time .

Adios Pantalones said:
I recently discovered that my spark plug was loose. Oops! Tightened it up with a scrench and the few issues the saw had running went away. I figured it was my own damn fault and it was.

lol done that once in a car the dealer said it would be 1295.00 to fix I tighten the plug with a my hands and drove on.

My 026 Pro has never liked to idle very long, but other than that it's been a great saw. Starts right back up when warm, so I just shut it off and restart.
I often forget the decompress.

I used a 361 with a 20 inch bar for a few minutes one afternoon and that's a nice saw, too.
I wouldn't want anything heavier for the size trees I have around here.

I'm running a 16" bar and .325. With all you guys loving the 026, I will just take it in and see. It doesn't get used much but could be the rings. It's 9 years old so it's possible. It could be anything like a bad air hose? It isn't a total wimp but nothing close to my 034.

ihookem, I think it is worth taking it in. Should be a zippy little saw. If the dealer finds nothing wrong and you don't use it much, you could always throw it on Craigslist with the language "gone over by my dealer". Imagine it would sell pretty quickly.

HittinSteel said:
ihookem, I think it is worth taking it in. Should be a zippy little saw. If the dealer finds nothing wrong and you don't use it much, you could always throw it on Craigslist with the language "gone over by my dealer". Imagine it would sell pretty quickly.

+1 I am not a 260 fan but that 026 should do up to 15-20 in. pretty well.

Brought home the 260 pro 16" bar yesterday. Plan on taking it out tomorrow and sawing up a p-u load of wood from one of scrounge finds. Will have the old 036 pro at the ready for larger jobs.

leftyscott said:
Brought home the 260 pro 16" bar yesterday. Plan on taking it out tomorrow and sawing up a p-u load of wood from one of scrounge finds. Will have the old 036 pro at the ready for larger jobs.

I just came in for lunch after cutting up a cherry tree that was about 18" across at the base. The tree had blown over about a year ago and cut up real nice using my 16" Carlton bar and 3/8" RSC chain. I'm getting that 260 pro broke in well, I think!

Stubborn Dutchman said:
leftyscott said:

I just came in for lunch after cutting up a cherry tree that was about 18" across at the base. The tree had blown over about a year ago and cut up real nice using my 16" Carlton bar and 3/8" RSC chain. I'm getting that 260 pro broke in well, I think!

That 260 would do better if you were running a .325 bar and chain combo on it

webie said:
Stubborn Dutchman said:
leftyscott said:

That 260 would do better if you were running a .325 bar and chain combo on it
+1

Took it out last night. When I first fired it up it reminded of a kid's toy b/c of the higher pitch it has and the fact it's feather light compared to my 036 pro.

It made quick work of some 2"-3" wide limbs. But I wanted to test it so I went a bit further into my woods and found an uprooted hickory (12"-14") diameter laying horizontal about 3 feet off the ground. The little guy did pretty good. I cut 4-5 rounds out of it fairly easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.