1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Anyone buy some wood lately?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by btj1031, Feb 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. btj1031

btj1031 New Member

Loc:
    NH
    I hear ya.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Birch Boy

Birch Boy Member

Loc:
    Just this side of Siberia

What you say all makes sense and wish it worked like that around here.
    I think the problem is the outfits that cut for the mill nowadays are all large, they don't seem to mess around with firewood unless you
    know someone or are right on their way.
    Not like years back there were a lot of smaller operators and picker trucks, firewood logs came easy.
    As far as price I'd love to pay the price the mill gets. Large volume user plus monopoly squeeze I'd say.
    This is another subject but you can't believe what the mill pays the province for stumpage and what a private resident has to pay!
    Right now with the economy and all, they are trying to get the province to drop stumpage fees altogether as well as get the loggers to take a cut.
    On the farm we have poplar and spruce to no end with birch mixed throughout. With the mill going it never made any sense to start logging
    our own land for firewood when they were hauling birch off crown land for $100/cord delivered right to the stove. Like I said before, the convenient, abundant, $100/cord birch might be a thing of the past.
  3. lexybird

lexybird Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northwestern PA.
    got a cord of greenish red oak for 100$ also getting 1 and 3/4 cord fair(but kinda wet) mixed hardwood(mostly cherry and oak) delivered for 100$
    all cut and split to length ,th is the time of year when you gotta watch as people pass off greenwood as seasoned ot make some cash to pay their taxes and christmas bills ,not to mention every guy with a poulon is out cutting his backyard up becuase hes laid off and is strapped nowadays
  4. btj1031

btj1031 New Member

Loc:
    NH
    Spent some time this weekend splitting up last weekends purchase. I think there's maybe a cord cut and split. Nice stuff for next year.

Attached Files:

5. TreePapa

TreePapa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Calif.
    Small potatoes compared to you folks, but yesterday I bought $40 worth of mixed wood from the local equipment rental yard. It was about 2/3 of my Ferd Ranger's bed. Prolly enough to see us through the few weeks of cold(ish) weather we have left, with the little bit of seasoned pine and mullberry I have left. Most of the wood bought yesterday was at least half-seasoned, but better than some I've seen. There were a couple of pieces, 'tho, that I threw into the stack of next year's wood 'cuz they were as green as it gets.

Peace,
    - Sequoia
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.